General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Coolant Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Capacity?

Doing a radiator flush and wondering how much coolant I should be refilling the radiator with. After draining it at the petcock, I put less than a gallon in and it was full. This doesn't sound right. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

Last edited by 99T/A_Marine; 05-30-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you completely drained it out 1 gallon is about right. I believe the entire system holds about 3 gallons, to include hoses and heater.

I just replaced my radiator and I flushed it out but left the new water in it, and it only took about 1 gallon after taking the old one out and putting the new one it.

I just ran the car with the heater on and the cap off so the air could get out, then filled it up as the level went down.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Launching!

I didn't take the thermostat out so the entire block isn't getting drained. I can't find the block draining bolts though. If they r easier to drain the system with, then let me know.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
I didn't take the thermostat out so the entire block isn't getting drained. I can't find the block draining bolts though. If they r easier to drain the system with, then let me know.
Don't pull the engine plugs, do it the easy way. Pulling the engine plugs doesn't get it ALL out either.

Here's how you flush every drop out.

Best/easiest way to flush and get every drop of old coolant out.
Cold engine.
Remove radiator fill cap.
Remove the t-stat. (2-3 minute job)
Put t-stat housing back on. (1 minute)
Take the entire radiator drain valve (petcock) "off", don't just open it. It'll drain faster with it off and thats what you want. ((Buy a new petcock, sometimes they break when you remove them all the way, they're like $2.00))
Take a hose and stick it in the radiator fill cap, running medium to high.
Start the engine.
Let it run for about 15-20 minutes or until the water is running out the drain CLEAR.
When it does your entire system is clean. 100%.
Put the t-stat back in.
Put the drain valve back in. Use the new one, what the hell.
Put half a jug of Dexcool in the radiator. (Or if you live in very cold places, 1 ½ jugs of Dexcool)
Fill the rest with water. (one bottle of water wetter can't hurt, your choice)
**Let it run and warm up till the t-stat opens once and starts to flow, to see if the level drops, just to make sure the system is completely full of coolant, if it drops just top it off. Then wait one more time for the t-stat to open and start to flow, then top it off again.**

Done.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Launching!

Ok, well I emptied the coolant from the thermostat and poured a system flush and water in, but now when I am driving, the gauge wants to about 3 needle widths under 260, then it goes back down just under the tick mark after the 210 mark. It fluctuates between the 2. Could this just be because it is only water in there? Could I need a new thermostat? Could I have put the thermostat back in the water outlet wrong?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Okay, how do you bleed this coolant system? I always thought u just wait for the air bubbles to bleed out at the top of the radiator from the small coolant tube running to it. God I am still a ******* boot when it comes to cars, lol.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Launching!

Ok, nevermind. Bled the system and all is well now. Temp gauge doesn't move from normal now. Didn't bleed the system before the flush. And I don't think these motors like water as a coolant.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 99T/A_Marine
Ok, nevermind. Bled the system and all is well now. Temp gauge doesn't move from normal now. Didn't bleed the system before the flush. And I don't think these motors like water as a coolant.
Running only water is just fine, but its good to have a half jug of Dexcool in there. Thatrs what I do and mine is perfect.

Quick Reply: Coolant Capacity?