Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni DA vs. QA1 and "r"

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni DA vs. QA1 and "r"

How do the QA1 and QA1 "r" series compare against the koni double adjustables? I know the QA1 is easier to adjust, that you can adjust both compression and reboud on the koni's, but as far as reliability...also, newbie question. I've heard the twin tube designs don't dissapate heat well. Would I have a problem doing a few hours of freeway driving or an hour of street driving on a twin tube shock?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running Koni DA's on my daily driver and have been for 20,000 miles. They work perfectly. It is true that twin tube shocks don't dissapate heat as well as a single tube design, but with modern shock oils that is not a problem that most of us will ever experience. The Koni's are completely different than the QA1's and are compairing apples to oranges. They are both adjustable, but they are more different than they are similar.

The question about twin tube designs is not a bad one, it is just a result of reading manuals geared fully towards racing, or old books. It has been an issue in the past on race cars, but it is not such a problem these days with the use of gas pressure and better shock oils. Nothing is impossible, but I doubt you will ever have a problem with heat on your street/track car.

My thoughts.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great to hear. Now all i have to do is get these shocks. FINALLY figured out what i want to get. I've probably put a solid 10 hours into researching what i want to do..went from bilsteins to QA1's to Koni DA's. Someone mentioned the ride comfort on the DA's is great if you dial it in that way, and i know the QA1's aren't that comfortable. Granted, springs make a difference, too. How much of a PITA is it to adjust these things?

Quick Reply: Koni DA vs. QA1 and "r"