General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

VATS help/lost keys

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VATS help/lost keys

so I was at work yesterday, someone stole my gym bag that happened to have my keys in it. That was my spare set so Im sol right now. I have AAA and they said they can send a locksmith out and make me a set for 100 out of pocket but I need the vats code, they said if they have to get it for me its gonna be 3-400.

Can I only get if from a dealership? cant get it towed because of where I parked (right up against a wall). The only other thing I have heard of is hooking up hptuners and removing the vats program completely. If I have it removed can I then just have a set of keys made and be good?

Thanks for any help fellas,

-Jeff
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Either way, you are going to need a dealership, look up the VATS code and key code. If you take proof of ownership and your VIN to a dealer, they can make a new key for you from scratch. (It will probably cost you $35-ish for the key blank and cutting and then another $10-20 for the code lookup fee.

With a non-VATs key, you are only going to be able to save on the fee for the blank.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...your dealer charges a look-up fee? We don't charge for anything other then the blank itself. The problem is that whoever took your bag now has keys to your car and chances are they took your bag, knowing what car you have; so don't be shocked when your car comes up stolen one day. If I were you...and seriously, have a new ignition cylinder put in. This way the stolen keys can't come back to haunt you. I had to have my cylinder replaced once in my 99 SS because the wires broke for the VATS. A VERY reputable locksmith came to my home and installed it right in my driveway. I got two new VATS keys also. Obviously the theif will still be able to get inside your car if he has the remote and/or door key but at least he can't take the car.