Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Weird oil pressure

Ok, I have a new sending unit, maybe a month old, and now the oil pressure is doing the same thing it was doing with my previous unit. Usual idle psi is 38-40 warm.

Now when my last unit went out it started fluctuating real crazy, from 20psi @ idle, up to near 70 at 2-3k rpm, and 40psi on the hwy. After I shut the car off, and fired it back up, the guage would read -0, like a dead gauge, then after 2-3 minutes of it running it would jump back up to normal for about 5 minutes, then go back to fluctuating until I eventually turn if off. Repeat cycle.

Is there a problem with my new unit? For the month's time it's been in there, I've had no problems, and a solid 40+psi reading from idle. Now it's back to fluctuating which makes me think it's the unit again. Could it be a connection problem or something?

I thought it may be my pump (stock 65k mile), but that wouldn't explain the month's worth of good psi readings immediately after the sending unit swap, and now back to being funky.

Thanks for any input.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well believe it or not Ive had BRAND NEW GM pressure sending units fail after a week. Ya may wanna double check the connection, and the next step is to get another sending unit.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man that's just the info I was looking to get, as I wasn't sure if they were truly reliable beyond doubt. I'll start checking it out tomorrow.