Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4l60E and 10 bolt death

Old 05-31-2009, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4l60E and 10 bolt death

A little over a year ago I blew my 4l60E See thread here.. https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ml#post9175675 Apparently it took my rearend with it? I have a Performabuilt level II on layaway since I haven't had the cash for a trans. But I've noticed the couple times I have needed to move the car it makes terrible grinding noises. It definitely sounded like I chipped a couple teeth in the rear. So I finally jacked up the car and had my friend powerbrake it and put a load on it. Sure enough the driveshaft spins and the rearend makes terrible grinding noises (I hate being right ). But I don't understand how the hell I blew the 10 bolt and 4l60E at the same time? I was going WOT around 20MPH and it did the 2-1 and when it was time for the 1-2 I hit the limiter. Sorry for the long confusing post... I'm just dumbfounded!

Thanks, Tim
Old 06-01-2009, 02:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's actually common that they both break at the same time. I had the same thing happen to me at the track. Took out the 10 bolt and the tranny at the same time on the launch. I went ahead and swapped in a TH400 and will be getting a 9" (just have another 10 bolt in there now). It sucks, but it happens, sorry that you're part of the club now. lol
Old 06-01-2009, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

My worst fear...well my 10 bolt is on its way out so half of my fear is here
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Could it be that the rearend broke first putting extra strain on the weak tranny and boom?

Plausible in my head.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ONEBAD383STROKER
Could it be that the rearend broke first putting extra strain on the weak tranny and boom?

Plausible in my head.
I think it's possible either way. Sucks I thought I just needed a trans at first I always feared that something was wrong with the rear by the sounds... Just never checked till now

Originally Posted by 01_ram-air
It's actually common that they both break at the same time. I had the same thing happen to me at the track. Took out the 10 bolt and the tranny at the same time on the launch. I went ahead and swapped in a TH400 and will be getting a 9" (just have another 10 bolt in there now). It sucks, but it happens, sorry that you're part of the club now. lol
It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one I'll just be on the lookout on here for a cheap 10 bolt for now.

Search this Thread