General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

over heating problems

Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over heating problems

the cars a 98 firebird that has just had a aftermarket cam installed and tuned as well as a underdrive pulley by a local shop. I put in a new water pump and stock temp thermostat but i cant get the car to stop over heating. The car stays normal temp at idle but gets up to 200-220 while trying to drive the car. Its not losing water out the overflow, theres no white smoke coming out of my exhaust or the smell of coolant, and the oil shows no sign of water in it.

does anyone know what could be causing the car to run hot?

thanks
Old 05-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

200 isn't bad while driving. Also, don't go by the guage in the car.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its an aftermarket gauge and it keeps going up to 230 and i have hade it on the computer and it show the same temp
Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trav742a
its an aftermarket gauge and it keeps going up to 230 and i have hade it on the computer and it show the same temp
OK, well, you're gonna get different opinions on how hot is OK.

I personally would never allow an LSx engine I own to get to 220-230. I just do not agree that it should get that hot. At least not unless its 95* out with the A/C blasting in traffic. I can care less what GM says. We all know GM designs some good ****, but they're also a bunch of morons up there for other things.

You can simply check everything. I'd start with making sure all the air is out of the cooling system, since you opened it up that could be the issue.

Take the radiator cap off when its cold. Start it up and let it run and warm up till the t-stat opens once and starts to flow, if the level drops just top it off with coolant/water. Then wait one more time for the t-stat to open and start to flow, if it drops down again top it off again. Do it again if you want to make sure. I always massage the upper and lower hoses while its warming up to help move the air bubble through. Always works like a charm.

Search this Thread