Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans grind new clutch and higher rpms

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans grind new clutch and higher rpms

I recently put a spec stage 2 in my car along with the shim and new slave cylinder and its works awesome. But before I did the swap I never had any grinds or anything I was shifting around 6000 rpms. Now that I'm cammed and I'm shifting at 6500 rpms it grinds into 2nd gear, I've only done it a few time not really trying to hurt it. I'm just wondering if I need to do the drill mod to the car as well, maybe its not getting enough fluid at high rpms? The trans only has 51K miles on it so I dont see the synchros going out yet. I bled the clutch good too but havent done the drill mod yet. Any info would help out alot so I came get this thing to the track soon.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one has any ideas?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 AM
FormerVendor

Since the grind occurs in one gear only it is pretty safe to say that this is an issue specific to 2nd gear and this point to the synchro as the most likely culprit. Remember, a clutch performs the same job whether you are shifting from 1st to 2nd or 4th to 5th (or any possible combination in between). The clutch cannot determine what gear you are selecting, it simply releases as the clutch pedal is depressed, which free's the disc (and thus the input-shaft) alowing you to move through the gears.

Of course, you are welcome to try the drill mod but it is unlikely that this will fix the issue. I hope this info helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,
Old 06-03-2009, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probly the tranny.Mileage doesn't matter,I've destroyed them with under 1k miles.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah I'm just a little upset it didnt do it before as a bolton car and now its doing it. It seems like once somethings done something else immediatly breaks. Now I need a rear and a trans. I've grabbed 3rd gear once and it felt fine, I havent been able to grab 4th on the street, that probably would be 115-120 mph on the street with 3.42s. I hit 3rd at 85-90 mph.

Quick Reply: trans grind new clutch and higher rpms