Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Clutch Needed... Suggestions? - '97 Formula

Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Clutch Needed... Suggestions? - '97 Formula

I'm having the LT1 engine rebuilt in my '97 Formula, and since the clutch had just started showing symptoms of slipping, I'm going to replace it.

Any advice on what's a great clutch for this car? It's a stock LT1, and I guess you could classify me as a "spirited" driver, but it is my summer daily driver.

My shop suggested all original GM, but as everyone knows, quite pricey, even with online prices compared to other clutch kits.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 97V8Bird
I'm having the LT1 engine rebuilt in my '97 Formula, and since the clutch had just started showing symptoms of slipping, I'm going to replace it.

Any advice on what's a great clutch for this car? It's a stock LT1, and I guess you could classify me as a "spirited" driver, but it is my summer daily driver.

My shop suggested all original GM, but as everyone knows, quite pricey, even with online prices compared to other clutch kits.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Well, are you gonna be keeping the car stock? If so, no point in getting nuts then. BUT, think about it before you do, as most of SAY we are not gonna go after more power, but we end up doing so. Centerforce and Mcleod are top name companies that offer clutches for your beloved LT1. Might be out of your range, depending on WHICH style clutch you go with, but worth a shot.

Oh yeah, Monster MIGHT have started making clutches for the LT1...if they have, then I would HIGLY recommend them!
Old 06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

We offer a full line for the LT1 and I am sure that we could help you determine what option fits best. I have provided a link to our LT1 product list below. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions or product needs. Thanks and have a good afternoon!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1993/Single

The LT1 parts are listed in the second product box on the page.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are developing clutches for the LTx stuff, right now we do not offer anything for that engine.

I apologize.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
We are developing clutches for the LTx stuff, right now we do not offer anything for that engine.

I apologize.

I knew you guys were working on something, and had not heard if it came out yet, And since I didn't, I figured as much.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Autozone! Yes, Autozone!

Get a real GM LT4 clutch without the real GM LT4 price!

My LUK hi po clutch kit from Autozone contained a pilot bearing (not a bushing!) and a real GM LT4 clutch (with the GM LT4 PN and Valeo name right on it!) and a real GM LT4 Pressure Plate!

The best news - free lifetime replacement warranty!

The Price - about $270.

Get it and thank me later!

I cannot say anything good about any / all of my aftermarket Kevlar clutches - my first SPEC 3+ lasted 12,000 miles
My second SPEC 3+ lasted ONLY 1,500 miles!
My only South Bend Clutch came to me warped and they still haven't fixed it!
Once they got my $$$, they didn't know me anymore...

Originally Posted by 97V8Bird

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by great421
Get a real GM LT4 clutch without the real GM LT4 price!

My LUK hi po clutch kit from Autozone contained a pilot bearing (not a bushing!) and a real GM LT4 clutch (with the GM LT4 PN and Valeo name right on it!) and a real GM LT4 Pressure Plate!

The best news - free lifetime replacement warranty!

The Price - about $270.

Get it and thank me later!

I cannot say anything good about any / all of my aftermarket Kevlar clutches - my first SPEC 3+ lasted 12,000 miles
My second SPEC 3+ lasted ONLY 1,500 miles!
My only South Bend Clutch came to me warped and they still haven't fixed it!
Once they got my $$$, they didn't know me anymore...
That is a good clutch for a stock car, but if you needed SPEC 3's then it shouldn't hold the power you need it to. People have been known to have problems with short SPEC life. I had a Spec 2 only last about 2,000 miles.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 AM
FormerVendor

Counted...it seems that you have forgotten about the impact of a number of factors have on clutch life. These include break-in, flatness of flywheel used in conjunction with the clutch, power produced, and driving style. There are countless people that have used these units without issue (we have sold nearly 20,000 of these kits). If you have had an issue that you felt was relative to parts you are welcome to contact me directly and I will be happy to discuss your problem and work with you to find a resolution. My contact info is below. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
Counted...it seems that you have forgotten about the impact of a number of factors have on clutch life. These include break-in, flatness of flywheel used in conjunction with the clutch, power produced, and driving style. There are countless people that have used these units without issue (we have sold nearly 20,000 of these kits). If you have had an issue that you felt was relative to parts you are welcome to contact me directly and I will be happy to discuss your problem and work with you to find a resolution. My contact info is below. Thanks!
I made my thread before and we have talked before. I'm not necessarily blaming the clutch as I've learned SPEC's are a little harder to install on LS1's because they need to be PROPERLY shimmed. But this short life seems to be a continuing problem. But I will agree, there has been people who get an amazing amount of mileage on there SPECs.

Do a search on here - I'm not the only one who feels like this.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

I've heard mixed reviews about SPEC. However a LOT of people don't break them in correctly, and use a resurfaced flywheel as opposed to a new one.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00SS6spd
I've heard mixed reviews about SPEC. However a LOT of people don't break them in correctly, and use a resurfaced flywheel as opposed to a new one.
Shouldn't a resurfaced flywheel be fine?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd recommend a Ram Powergrip or a Spec 2 or 3.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

There is no inherent issue with using a resurfaced stock flywheel as long as a limited amount of material is removed. In many instances there are problems with OE units being cut more than the recommended amount, which is .030", and this affects the clutch kits overall geometry. It is possible for you to shim the OE flywheel when over-machining occurs but sometimes machinist don't keep up with the amount removed. If you ever have questions about your assemblies stack-height just let me know and I will be happy to assist you.

As a point of reference, Stack-height is measured from the mounting surface on the back of the flywheel that seats to the crank to the diaphragm finger peak.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Shouldn't a resurfaced flywheel be fine?
Yes, provided that the flywheel is properly resurfaced like previously stated. However, my own personal opinion, is that I'd rather have a fresh new flywheel anyway instead of resurfacing the old one. Especially when you can get a nice rebuildable one from companies like Spec or Fidanza.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Sales Volume does not equal Satisfied Customers!

SPEC-01

I tried two of your units (shame on me for actually spending $$$ on the second one!), and I only hope that future SPEC customers don't have the same experiences Counted Out or I did!

Make all the excuses you want to about break-in, flatness of flywheel used, power produced, driving style, etc... but they really are all nothing more than excuses when a 'super high performance' clutch fails in less than 3 months!

Oh, and for the record, I purchased a NEW flywheel (from GM even!), and drove it "easy" for the first 500 miles - but hey, I'm just one voice over the net - discount / make fun of / ignore me all you want, but remember - I tell everyone I know about SPEC's impeccable customer service and the way SPEC stands behind their products! When a guy comes to SPEC, buys a product that a SPEC rep states is overkill for their NA LT1 with a LT4 Hot Cam, and it explodes in less than 15k miles - and the second one does the same thing in less than 2k miles - that speaks volumes!

Yeah, I admit, I'm a touch bitter, but try putting yourself in the position of the customer - if this happened to YOU (with something other than a clutch, say, with high performance Kevlar brake pads) and your rep started accusing YOU of things YOU never did, how would YOU feel?

Sales Volume does not equal Satisfied Customers, rather just sales, nothing more. I submit to you that Sales Volume just might be a long list of customers who'll never buy SPEC products again; then again, who am I to say that? I bought two!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01

Search this Thread