Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt axle, can't get c-clip out

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt axle, can't get c-clip out

Yes the car has trac, and yes the abs/trac sensor has been removed.

First off, I went to the track a few weekends back, first past with ls7/ls2 clutch and hoosier slicks something went snap and the car quit moving. We couldn't push the car, had to get a flatbed on the track and tow it off.

Today I took the diff cover off, everythings intact, but the driver side wheel won't move while pass side will move a little bit. Figured broken axle. Removed the wheel, caliper, rotor, and abs/trac sensor. You can see where the caliper bracket was dragging on the rotor, like the axle was pushed out and pushed the rotor into the caliper. Took the rotor off and I can now turn the wheels/axles. Took the pin out and took the plate out to get the c-clips out. Went to the axle and tried to push in and nothing, wouldn't budge. I grabbed my sludge hammer and started pounding on it. It looks like it should be far enough to get the c-clip out, but the spider gear won't rotate down out of the way. On the passenger side the spider gear moves freely, but the driver side it won't budge.

Any ideas? Did I f something else up like the spider gear or the bearing?
Old 06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my gear swap yesterday, and when you rotate the carrier the driver side wont rotate? Can you take some pictures.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Launching!

To start out I have been through three axels snapping. They all snapped at the splines and would mushroom in the carrier. What you need to do is get a long skinny pipe or rod and beat the broken piece of the axle in. You might have to beat it in a little futher than you have it now. Get a hammer and a flathead or a punch and gently beat the c clip back off the axle till it falls. Next step would be pulling the other axle out as well and get your long skinny rod or pipe again and beat the broken part of the axle the other direction back out. Fish the broken piece out and your ready to install the new axle.

Jon
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I just did my gear swap yesterday, and when you rotate the carrier the driver side wont rotate? Can you take some pictures.
What I mean is when you rotate the carrier back and forth the pass side spider gear moves forward and back, so if I was taking the pass side out rotating the axle would move the spider back enough to get the c-clip out. The driver side, when I rotate it the spider will move with the axle, but it won't move forward and back like the pass side does.

Originally Posted by slowrollin93
To start out I have been through three axels snapping. They all snapped at the splines and would mushroom in the carrier. What you need to do is get a long skinny pipe or rod and beat the broken piece of the axle in. You might have to beat it in a little futher than you have it now. Get a hammer and a flathead or a punch and gently beat the c clip back off the axle till it falls. Next step would be pulling the other axle out as well and get your long skinny rod or pipe again and beat the broken part of the axle the other direction back out. Fish the broken piece out and your ready to install the new axle.

Jon

Only problem is the axle still seems to be in one piece, I can't just yank the longer broken piece out and stick a long pipe in there. If I can get the axle to break apart like I'm sure it already is, it's probably caught in a bind or something, then I can use your method.

Quick Reply: 10 bolt axle, can't get c-clip out