Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid,MAF,Headers,etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lid,MAF,Headers,etc.

Hey guys, I am just trying to get some feedback on a few items that I am not too sure how much I will benefit from. Starting with the airlid, I have an MTI lid. Is it worth switching to say a Fasttoys 85mm lid? Next, I have a stock MAF sensor with the screen removed. Should I purchase a 85mm SLP MAF or maybe just ported ends? Then, I have stock coils and wires. Is it worth spending like $700.00 on the MSD set? Last, I have pacesetter LT's with ORY. Should I change the headers to a 1 7/8" made by someone else or should I just keep what I got and use the $$$ on something else. I really appreciate everyones advice! Many of you have saved me time and money before! This summer I am going to be pulling the motor out of my SS and freshen it up with some forged pistons,rods,ARP hardware throughout,as well as some ported 243's and FAST 92/92. I just wasn't positive if I should change the 4 items I listed. Thanks in advance for all your help!!!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Regular

If your doin a 92/92 go with the FTP lid and buy a used 85mm truck maf and buy the 3to5 pin adaptor from FTP. The truck maf will flow just as well as SLP and is chaeper and it has the IAT sensor built in so you can get rid of the one on you lid now. Dont worry about the coils, I have heard of small gains but that money could be spent on a cam with much better results. jsut get some MSD 8.5 wires and good plugs. Leave the headers they prolly flow pretty well, with the ORY
Old 06-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Default .

Yeah I definately think I am going to get that FTP setup and a 85mm mass air! Doesn't a Z06 come with an 85mm mass air? If so,can I use one of those or do I have to get one out of a truck? I have a cam already,it's a Comp Cam
233/239 .595"/.605" on a 112LSA. So, if I got some good cnc'd heads,I wouldn't gain enough to warrant the change of headers from my 1 3/4" pacesetters to a 1 7/8 header? Who makes a good, fair priced 1 7/8" LT header? Thanks for the response!
Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah the zo6 does too. You can use any 85mm maf they are just cheaper when people sell them saying they come of a truck but when you say ZO6 that means "special" When they are the same thing. As far as the header swap hopefully someone else can chime in im not too sure of the gains, im sure you would, but as to of how much i dont know. maybe see about a cut out to maximize flow. just try to get more opionins and ask your tuner im sure he has seen alot of different combos.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Don't worry about the coils, no real power gain and there are people that have had nothing but problems with them burning out. As for the headers, I wouldn't worry about that either. you'll gain maybe 10 to 15 horse if that and they are not cheap, also a real pain in the *** to put in. If you were going to step up in cubes the headers would be more worth it.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the Z06 MAF, then your going to need the MAF table for that thing tuned into your PCM. It will throw your car off big time, especially with the other mods you are talking about getting possibly. I wouldn't sweat the 1 7/8" headers until you are ready for a couple more cubes like ShortChevy said. A FAST is good though, ported at that, and you will need the FTP 85mm Lid to fit the 85mm Z06 MAF. I dremeled the snot out of my SLP Lid to make that MAF fit.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Default Lid/MAF

Ok, I have an 85mm SLP MAF on the way. I also ordered a Fast toys 85mm airlid. Is it going to screw up the tune in my car or can I throw it on when it arrives?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you put it on and worst case scenario, the car runs funky. Then swap it out and put the stocker back on until you get it tuned. Doesn't take that long to swap the MAF out
Old 06-04-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Shoud of jsut bought the z06 maf the slp is a waste of money.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Default SLP 85mm MAF

When you say waste of money,are you meaning the price? I got it for $60.00
shipped to my door. I really didn't think that was too terrible! I hope it works ok though. I just assumed that being made by SLP that it should be of some quality. What do you think?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are ok, but tuning wise the C5 Z06 85mm MAF is the way to go. It is simple plug and play and tuning it is simple. Get the tuner to load a 04 Z06 MAF table and its done. The SLP MAF isn't the same way. They are cheaper than the SLP right out of the box but need a harness to go along with it though. You should be good bro, but I don't think you need a tune for the SLP one. It may throw the car off a hair but they claim plug it up and off you go. It moves a lot more air than the stock unit so I don't know about that one... but that is what SLP claims.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Go with the following.. this is my 2 pennies anyway.
-Fast Toys 85mm lid
-Stock 04' Z06 MAF (Future reference do not ever remove MAF screen its there for a reason)
-Stay with stock coils ( I heard truck coils are good better for some reason)
-MSD Wires
-NGK TR-55 Plugs
-You should be good to go with the headers you have. There's been a never ending debate to go from 1 3/4'' to 1 7/8''. If I had to do it all over again I'd get 1 7/8'' but its not worth the loss in money IMO to make the switch.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Go with the following.. this is my 2 pennies anyway.
-Fast Toys 85mm lid
-Stock 04' Z06 MAF (Future reference do not ever remove MAF screen its there for a reason)
-Stay with stock coils ( I heard truck coils are good better for some reason)
-MSD Wires
-NGK TR-55 Plugs
-You should be good to go with the headers you have. There's been a never ending debate to go from 1 3/4'' to 1 7/8''. If I had to do it all over again I'd get 1 7/8'' but its not worth the loss in money IMO to make the switch.

The screen doesn't matter, the Zo6 MAF does not come with one. If it does come with a screen, then it isn't the right part. That is a good start though