Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is it possible to swap to a quick-change rearend?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to swap to a quick-change rearend?

Me and some friends have been talking about the possiblity of putting a quick-change rearend assembly in my LS1. That way we could swap gears in 2 minutes. I'm talking about the type that dirt late model race cars and sprint cars use. The price is less than what most pay for 12-bolt or 9" rear. Have any of you hardcore LS1 guys thought of this or tried this?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't know there was anything out there thats was faster to change than a 9in.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought of this awhile ago, and contacted some of the quick change companies and they didn't seem to think it would be to easy to make it work under one of our cars. Its a sweet idea though - especially for A4 guys.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Classic
I thought of this awhile ago, and contacted some of the quick change companies and they didn't seem to think it would be to easy to make it work under one of our cars. Its a sweet idea though - especially for A4 guys.
It wouldn't be easy they are right but I dont think it's as far-fetched as those companies think, I think there are some good fabricators on this board to put this into a steet car. It would be awsome for everyone. Imagine your gas milage with 2.5x gear on the highway and then imagine your times after swapping to a 4.5x at the track. All in an indestructable setup in which you could change gears in 2 minutes flat with only a 9/16" wrench. How sweet would that be.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh believe me, I agree 100%. However, after having 4.30 gears in my 6speed car I found that honestly it isn't that bad at all on the highway - and believe me my car was freaking loud (gmmg with long tubes and no cats). I would still be up for this if I could find someone local to work on it.