General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Fuel Pressure Gauge Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Pressure Gauge Concerns

Hey, I want to install a single gauge pod into my pillar. I am interested in an electric fuel pressure gauge but am concerned about tampering with the fuel and the safety issues related with it. I am worried about fuel vapors leaking out or somehow the connections/signal senders failing and spilling fuel into the engine bay. If anyone can shed some light onto this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you are a bit too paranoid. Use teflon tape on the threaded fittings and you will be fine.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks. Autometer does not recomend teflon tape. I guess I should care less about my 02 SS with 24K miles because it so easy to replace huh?
Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 Fuel Pressure Sending Unit Tutorial
Old 06-03-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
Thanks. Autometer does not recomend teflon tape. I guess I should care less about my 02 SS with 24K miles because it so easy to replace huh?
No. No. You can care the same, just relax. Dont screw with it if you dont feel comfortable.

BTW you will be ok as long as it is done correctly.

Matt-
Old 06-04-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have always used teflon tape on those fittings at the schrader valve and never had a leak in the past few years of installing sending units. As stated above, if you are that worried about it, let someone else do it.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

To be 100% clear - the Autometer sending unit uses pipe thread. You MUST use some sort of sealant on pipe threads - the threads themselves do the sealing, which is why they are tapered. It is a **** poor seal from a design standpoint, but they've been around for years, and if installed properly, will give you no issues.

That said, I personally don't recommend using Teflon TAPE on anything involving the fuel system. Little pieces can flake off, and small pieces of **** in your fuel lines = not good. Manufacturers realize this, and is why they also offer Teflon paste sealants (comes in a tube like Loctite). That is what I used on mine, and I can assure, there are no leaks.

IMO, you have nothing to worry about - if you are still paranoid, then just don't do the mod. There are risks to everything, and nothing is 100% idiot-proof.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

no, you should care less because the 2010 camaro 1SS is out with 416hp,
drive that 2002 to the wrecking yard

only way fuel vapors are going to leak is if you install the adapter and fuel pressure sending unit so poorly that you don't tighten it down enough, and if you don't use a thread sealant or teflon tape like was mentioned.
teflon tape will work just fine if you use it correctly, the main reason it isn't recommended is because you can get tape fragments into the fitting upon uninstalling and reinstalling the fitting. And the other thing with teflon tape is if you use too much you can crack your fitting if it's a weak material such as plastic.

the following thread sealants are rated for gasoline, and basically anything else on the planet except oxygen, you can get them at home depot or lowes or any plumbing store:
hercules Megaloc (which i use on everything, probably won't find at depot/lowes though)
hercules real-tuff (recommended)
hercules block
rectorseal #7, or #5

or you can pick up permatex ptfe thread sealant at the auto store but you'll pay more and get less of the same stuff mentioned above. Don't use an rtv type sealant.

http://www.herchem.com/products/thread_sealants.html