Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

question about installing gears

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about installing gears

i'm ready to buy a 3.73 gear in my car but wanted to know if i have to buy the install kit or can i use the stock shims and ****?
Old 06-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

You are more than likely going to need to replace the shims. If you plan on replacing the bearings (which is a good idea) then you will definitely need a shim kit. You can buy an entire kit with everything you need from a sponsor on this site or numerous other stores.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie
You are more than likely going to need to replace the shims. If you plan on replacing the bearings (which is a good idea) then you will definitely need a shim kit. You can buy an entire kit with everything you need from a sponsor on this site or numerous other stores.
thats not true with a stock untouched 10 bolt. They are set up very well with the factory shims. After installing all new bearings and reusing the factory pinion shim and motive gears typically gives you about .006-.007 backlash, which is on the lower side of Motives recommendation. You set the pinion preload to about 25 inch/pounds through the crush sleeve and insert the two carrier shims and total preload goes to 40 inch/pounds, right within spec. Every ten bolt I have rebuilt has turned out this way. I have used Ratechs rebuild kits for bearing replacements and they include shims in case you do need to change something. Also, every ten bolt i have rebuilt has been very quiet setting it up this way. Wipe patterns always look good also.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

all gears are different, you should not reuse setups when swaping gears. Its good to reuse the pinion shim to get a base line depth, more times than not you wont even have to change that shim. The carrier shims will need to be changed.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Teching In

That is what I was getting at also. Every time I have changed the carrier bearings I have needed to use different shims as the new bearings do not typically accept the factory shims properly.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

the bearings in Ratechs kit are identical copies of the factory bearings so reasonable intuition would tell you they accept the factory shims, And the fact that i have done it.