Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How high is your head/helmet w/what seat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How high is your head/helmet w/what seat?

OK her goes, I have had a summit poly seat in custom made mounts that sat the seat at just about the stock ride height, see image below.
http://www.1slowformula.com/images/w...reduction4.jpg

Jay (the guy doing the cage fab work) just called and after tacking the bars in he put the seat back in and my helmet would be above the bars and he isn't confortable with that. So, now we have to either drop the seat down or swap out to an Alum seat for more clearance because the base of the poly seat is like 2+" vs the less than a 1/2" of the alum seat...

I kinda figured the seat was too high because even before the cage my helmet was up inside the T-top to the point when the car rocked on the return road I would hit the helmet on the side of T-top panel that is above the window. So, being above the bars doesn't suprise me, I just never really thought about it before he called and said it was an issue. I have faith that either he can come up with a way to lower the seat, even if by cutting the crossmember and welding in new supports or something, or just getting a new seat and using the poly one as the passenger seat...

Oh I just thought of this, either way we go (if he drops the seat down or gets a new seat) the measurements of where my arms were for the door bar will/should be lower, I hope he thought of that, well then again I'm sure he did...

What are your thoughts, and where is your head/helmet and what seat are you running? I am oddly shaped, as I am 5' 10", but have short legs and a long torso, so when seated I am about the same height as a 6' + tall person. Just throwing that out for reference...
Old 06-04-2009, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

BTW, for reference, these can give you an idea of how high up my head/helmet is with the seat at it's current height...

http://trsphoto.exposuremanager.com/...sses/dsc_86269
http://trsphoto.exposuremanager.com/..._ami/dsr_94957
http://trsphoto.exposuremanager.com/...ami/dsr_939122
http://trsphoto.exposuremanager.com/...ami/dsr_939224
http://trsphoto.exposuremanager.com/...ami/dsc_668444

sorry those are the best shots I have, and I really don't even have them as they are taken by the race series photograper...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Wow, all you guys that have aftermarket seats have no idea where your head/helmet are?

Seriously, I would think some of you guys should have to know this if you race a lot, I just need to know if putting the Poly seat on the floor (or as close to as possible) will get my head down out of the T-top area and therefore down below (or at least inside) the halo that is under the headliner? If not then I may have to switch to a Alum seat and try and go as low as possible with that...
Old 06-05-2009, 09:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have kirkey seat and it's set very low in the car so i have plenty of clearance and also im only 5'8
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ndfrsd6
i have kirkey seat and it's set very low in the car so i have plenty of clearance and also im only 5'8
Thanks...

BTW, I'm not being a smartass by this next question I am really just looking for info, but is it hard for you to see where your going being 5' 8" and sitting with the seat that low?
Old 06-05-2009, 11:14 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol none taken i put a 2x4 under the seat when i was mounting the racecraft brackets and i do sit low in the car but its very comfortable position .......its just right for me though
Old 06-05-2009, 12:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 5'8" also and my head is under the top bar with the lower JAZZ seat.
And yes I too can see over the dash, haha
Can't see the track with the wheels up anyway.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm 6'2 and I have a kirkey mounted right on the floor by the back to studs and the cage.

It's as low as possible, my helmet is jsut below the halo ande main hoop, gonna have to redo the mounting and lay the seat back when I eventually 25.x the car since the halo has to still fit in the car.

I can see fine, can't when the nose comes up too much but that's not a big deal. I have a taller hood that is gonna make it a little worse, but nothing I can't live with I don't think.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 AM
11 Second Club

thanks for the feedback guys, I guess on the floor it goes and I will hope for the best...
Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm 5'09'', with Kirkey's at nearly stock height (modified Racecraft brackets)
Attached Thumbnails How high is your head/helmet w/what seat?-lr1.jpg  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:32 AM
9 Second Club

Like the other tall people the seat (JAZ here) is on the floor and I gave maybe an inch, two at the most above the helmet.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

I'm about to put a Kirkey seat in my car. With the factory seat that's in it now, my head can actually contact the bar without even having a helmet on. Hopefully I can put the Kirkey seat in low enough to clear the bar with a helmet on.