Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Started-86 elcamino

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default It Started-86 elcamino

I have been working on this for awhile on and off. It started out as a 1986 elcamino choo choo custom that i bought about 4 years ago from memphis tn. It came with a 4.3 v-6 and 200 trans no overdrive. At first i bought a lt1 for it but then a 2001 ls1 was for sale with a 4l60e so i sold the lt1 and bought the ls1. I got the mounts and oil pan from John B. and they work great!. I bought 243 heads and a ls6 cam, 2800 converter. Bought a grand national rear end. Hooker long tubes from a f body. Had to modify the crossmember i bought from jegs, had a driveshaft made and used the original gas tank with a new walbro pump. I just got it back from the muffler shop yesterday they had to modify the passenger header to clear the frame (moved one tube) and installed the x pipe and mufflers and center mount exhaust. Today i bought a new battery and it started right up, good oil pressure and charging. The fuel pressure was good until it started and at idle it only reads 20psi. I dont have my aldl connector yet or a ses light, that i will do this weekend. I wired the car off this site and learned alot from this site and just want to thank everyone on here, Dan
Attached Thumbnails It Started-86 elcamino-parts-pic-1-1677.jpg   It Started-86 elcamino-parts-pic-1-1668.jpg   It Started-86 elcamino-parts-pic-1-1667.jpg  
Old 06-04-2009, 11:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good. Are the diagonal braces in the engine compartment part of the choo choo customs package or are they aftermarket?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 PM
12 Second Club

I bought them off ebay used from someone in canada and he listed them as a oem part from a g body. Must be only in canada. I needed to drill holes on the cowl to bolt them up and there are little dimples in that spot from the factory. Hey G-body thanks for your help also. When i get it running correctly we are going to have to meet up..
Old 06-05-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

My wifes '86 bonnie has the diagonal braces too.

Must be another Canada Spec thing...

Some of the US and CDA specs differ while some are obvious, others are just dumb.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

Way to go! Congrats on getting it running. Now the real fun begins...

Pat
Old 06-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats !!! always a pleasure to see my illiNOIZE brothers swapping !!! i cant wait to start mine. US41 Is going to be exploding 2nite !!!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by builder1
I have been working on this for awhile on and off. It started out as a 1986 elcamino choo choo custom that i bought about 4 years ago from memphis tn. It came with a 4.3 v-6 and 200 trans no overdrive. At first i bought a lt1 for it but then a 2001 ls1 was for sale with a 4l60e so i sold the lt1 and bought the ls1. I got the mounts and oil pan from John B. and they work great!. I bought 243 heads and a ls6 cam, 2800 converter. Bought a grand national rear end. Hooker long tubes from a f body. Had to modify the crossmember i bought from jegs, had a driveshaft made and used the original gas tank with a new walbro pump. I just got it back from the muffler shop yesterday they had to modify the passenger header to clear the frame (moved one tube) and installed the x pipe and mufflers and center mount exhaust. Today i bought a new battery and it started right up, good oil pressure and charging. The fuel pressure was good until it started and at idle it only reads 20psi. I dont have my aldl connector yet or a ses light, that i will do this weekend. I wired the car off this site and learned alot from this site and just want to thank everyone on here, Dan

ok I need your help. My causin has an 86 Elco also and has a 5.3 sitting in his garage to drop in it.

Can you tell me how you wired it up to power it up?
how did you work the fuel system to feed the motor and emissin crap?
do you still have a useable instrument cluster?

thanks, cesar
Old 06-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Launching!

awesome. I like those el caminos!

Quick Reply: It Started-86 elcamino