Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Domed forged Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Domed forged Pistons

Ive been asking but cant find help, anyone know who offers forged domed LS1/6 pistons for TFS heads? Im looking for a 5 to 6cc domed forged piston. Im trying to get a bit over or around 12:1 c/r and the heads are milled to 60cc already. Any help or reference will do. Thnx.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Why 12:1? and with the same cam in your sig?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

A few reasons but mostly Im doing a stock rebuild so I decided might as well go with forged pistons for longevity and some more torque and hp with higher compression. I wil most likely run a mix of pump and race gas to be safe. I thought my cam should be fine even though its not that big. Concerns?
Old 06-05-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes you'll have too much DCR and run into detonnation issues. The trick is to get enough DCR but not over 8.7 is a nice area without pushing the limits and therefore being able to run full timing.
What are the full specs of your cam? Lobe type (XE-R, XFI etc..) nd your advance in grind. Better yet if you have a cam card, just post it and I'll figure out your DCR and a happy compression for your setup.
It is not necessary or always beneficial to run highest compression. Balance of combo is much better, right quench, degreing of cam at speced ICL etc...
Old 06-05-2009, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

I dont think I still have the card. What I remember is its a 228/234 112lsa with +4 degrees of timing. I was running about 11:1 before with the 60cc heads and a stock head gasket. This time I'll also have a set of 0.040 Cometic head gaskets. I was hoping a race fuel mix would help with any detonation issues. My tech at the shop will check all clearences and quenches but since Im buying the parts I was wondering if anyone offered those pistons.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Perhaps there is a misscomunication between you two.

1- with 5cc dome your SCR will be ~12.36 and DCR 9.6
That is with 3.905 bore, 3.622 crank, 6.125 rods, 0 piston deck height, .040 gasket and 60cc chamber
2- At 12:1 SCR you will be still at 9.39 DCR

Now unless you are using this ride track only you are making a mistake IMO.

Your setup will be best IMO with
3.905 bore, 3.622 crank, 6.125 rods, 2 cc pistons flat top, .040 gasket, 60cc chambers and 0 piston to deck height
That will give you 11.15 SCR and 8.7 DCR perfect for premium fuel.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
10 Second Club

I just wanted to know if they made the pistons for TFS heads. We have not done all the measurements to know the exact cc's we'll need, but I knew it was close to that. I use a c/r calculator but I guess it factored in a 0.008 deck height but I guess it will be around a 4cc dome or so. I would just like to know what manufacturer will have the layout for the TFS combustion chamber so once we have all the measurements I'll know where to go.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I do not think you are comprehending what I am saying. 12:1 is too much SCR for that cam. I explain and you come back to tell me the same thing. You do not need to go that high. Running dome pistons on the street is a bad idea.
I could understand if this was a full race car, but with that cam it obviously is not.

0.008 deck height means your pistons are in the hole, and that is too far in the hole.

You want domed pistons, call Ross or Diamond, they will make you pistons for anything you want. But first get a clue on what you are actualy doing.
Darn, I feel like I'm talking to a brick here.

You talk about mixing race gas, at which proportions? or you are just going to put a drop of this and a drop of that? man I'm sorry but please get professional advice if you do not believe me.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM
10 Second Club

Thnx for trying to help but you dont answer my goddamn question. Dont worry about what cam and **** Im running, simple question, WHO MAKES THE PISTONS?! Anyone? I dont need someone to do my build for me on a thread.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey there, I work for Wiseco. We have some on the shelf and so do some other piston companies. Our domes are solid-meaning they can be cut down to flat if needed. Every 2.76g of material is 1cc -so you can tune to the needed volume on one piston and match the dome rise on the other 7 pistons. Pretty easily done actually if you have access to a mill. If not, Wiseco or about any other piston company can build you a set to meet your specifics. Good luck, Brian Nutter-Wiseco Piston
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by C5natie
Thnx for trying to help but you dont answer my goddamn question. Dont worry about what cam and **** Im running, simple question, WHO MAKES THE PISTONS?! Anyone? I dont need someone to do my build for me on a thread.
I allready answered that, look at Ross or Diamond or even Wiseco staff chimed in.
Good luck
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by briannutter
Hey there, I work for Wiseco. We have some on the shelf and so do some other piston companies. Our domes are solid-meaning they can be cut down to flat if needed. Every 2.76g of material is 1cc -so you can tune to the needed volume on one piston and match the dome rise on the other 7 pistons. Pretty easily done actually if you have access to a mill. If not, Wiseco or about any other piston company can build you a set to meet your specifics. Good luck, Brian Nutter-Wiseco Piston
Thanks Brian. Would you guys carry a 4 or 5cc dome or are they built to order? Do you know how much more a custom set is compared to the stocked ones? Thnx again.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by briannutter
Saving this information.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5natie
Pretty sad when someone is so stuck up there own *** they cant take good advice.....
Old 06-09-2009, 06:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitrojunkie
Pretty sad when someone is so stuck up there own *** they cant take good advice.....
isnt that typical of vette owners???