Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crane gold vs yella terra ultra vs others

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crane gold vs yella terra ultra vs others

As stated is there any big advantage of one versus the other using the 1.7 on a h/c combo? Weight, reliability, noise, hp/tq.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crane is no more. . . .
Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Restricted User

The stock rockers would be the best pick. Hard to beat them unless you have heads that require after market rockers.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Harland Sharp rebuilt stock rockers are a reliable, cheap, lightweight alternative. With that said, if you have enough spring, the Yella Terra Ultra Light can be a good rocker for heads with Bronze valve guides and require roller rockers.

An even better choice is the Jesel J2k - lighter than stock over the valve, full roller, adjustable, and fully rebuildable. But very expensive and overkill for most.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Harland Sharp rebuilt stock rockers are a reliable, cheap, lightweight alternative. With that said, if you have enough spring, the Yella Terra Ultra Light can be a good rocker for heads with Bronze valve guides and require roller rockers.

An even better choice is the Jesel J2k - lighter than stock over the valve, full roller, adjustable, and fully rebuildable. But very expensive and overkill for most.

Are you sure about that? I'm not. Weights or MOI data if you have it, please.

I have yet to see a roller-tipped LS rocker have less mass over the valve and less MOI than a stock LS rocker. I'm open to new data.

Jon
Old 06-06-2009, 05:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I still have crane dont seem to have any problems.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have run Crane, obviously stock and YT. Comp just introduced a new roller kit for the stockers. The kit looks very nice but of course being new the jury is out in reliability. Looks to be similar to what Harland was doing with the stock rockers. Based on the photo's it looks to be a very nice kit though.

The Cranes are stud mounted and come off the seat at almost 1.8 (these are the 1.7 rockers). If you are running high seat values, you will be putting a lot more force into the lifter. I struggled with the studs and removing rockers when necessary, etc. so I eventually switched to the Yella Terra's. I did so because they seemed to have a light design, there weren't many guys havung valve trains issues with the new design (the old design would float on a lot of setups) and I couldn't get a good geometry from the stock units.

Now that Comp has a nice bearing kit for the stockers, I would love to see a vendor introduce an LSx specific shim kit for the stockers so that obtaining the correct geometry would be an easier task. That would be an optimum setup. LPE makes a steel replacement to the aluminum rocker stand, which would be an excellent starting point for shimming and making adjustments.

Last edited by vettenuts; 06-06-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Old SStroker
Are you sure about that? I'm not. Weights or MOI data if you have it, please.

I have yet to see a roller-tipped LS rocker have less mass over the valve and less MOI than a stock LS rocker. I'm open to new data.

Jon
Me too, I would love to see the data.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:07 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Put a Crane rocker on, and watch what it does to the valve events compared to your other manufactures you stated. You will see on the degree wheel what happens!

Quick Reply: crane gold vs yella terra ultra vs others