Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whistling/whining sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whistling/whining sound

I have the LS1 with stock Auto trans... my question is this: when I get up on it, it seems to make this sound like someone rubbing the top of wine glasses... kinda like a whining or whistling sound. anyone familiar with how to fix this or make it go away? synthetic trans fluid maybe? any help or suggestions would be appreciated...
Old 11-10-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Regular

Default crazy results

found out actually that it is merely my rear tires trying to leave the ground (spinning) regardless of speed that I get on the car at. *** end is so light this is a problem with the LS1s, so I am going to hit up some 275/40/17 wheels to try to get some more stick to the ground

Old 11-10-2003, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cokeroker, might want to think about a better compound before going wider. It's fairly widely known that wider tires have little benefit for straight line acceleration, and taller tires often do better. It has to do with the shape and size of the tread contact patches when the tire is loaded. I read a great writup by an engineer at a tire manufacturer a while back that went into great detail behind the physics of the whole thing. Since taller is not a great option for a street car, a drag radial is probably your better option, and/or some suspension mods like LCA's and relocation brackets, etc.

Just thought I'd give you that to consider before you spend big $$$ on wider tires and are disappointed with the results. Wider tires are generally better for handling than straight line acceleration