Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want some real good, no non sense advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want some real good, no non sense advice

Sup guys, the last two days I have been reading non stop and googling cam information. I REALLY love the sound of a larger cam like the MS3, and I dont seem to care much for torque in the low to mid range when Im not WOT. The car is not a race car or track car, but it is also not a daily driver. Just a weekend warrior type thing, and I didnt buy a Trans Am with plans on modifying it and expecting it to drive like a BMW so street manners are no longer a concern. **** my daily driver is 93 silverado with a 350 in it that definatly has a cam in it cause it bucks and surges on me all the time.

So with all that said is a MS3 cam really a bad choice for me? I only care for it to go fast when Im WOT, in which you spend 90% of the time above 5,000 RPMS. Also I would think that the low end torque would be better for traction and less strain on my 10 bolt. Keep in mind Im not stuck on the donkey dick idea, but I sure love that sound and I think on roll races which is the majority of what I do it might be a better choice for me. The other cam I am considering is a V2 cam, let me know what you guys think. Id really like to hear from people who have similar sized cams in their cars and their experiences.

The mods are as follows
Volant cai
85MM TB
SLP LS6 intake manifold
pace setter headers
Bassani x pipe dual exhaust
LS7 clutch/SLP flywheel
Nitto DR's
plugs/wires
Ill be getting a set of heads around the December time frame, 12 bolt will come when my 10 dies. Thanks alot too, you guys are a great source of information.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 AM
TECH Regular

Why not the v3 if your considering the v2 and MS3? just throwing it out there..
Old 06-06-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you check out the stickies on cams in this section? or the "so you wanna be fast" sticky in Drag Racing Tech? They have some good info there. Might make your decision a little easier. Since I'm here i'll ask this-Do you like the surging of your 350? do you do alot of stop an go driving? if that doesnt bother you an you just want a car that shakes the ground everywhere you go then sure-go for a big cam. Me personally-I'd like something thats usuable in more of the powerband an not just 5000+ but I DD my car an plan on doing some road racing in the future so its really all up to you an what you like. Whatever you decide on-the tune can determine how streetable you want it so also keep that in mind-good luck man
Old 06-06-2009, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Well the V3 would probably fit in the same category as the MS3. V2 is a little bit more mild and Id say its a step down from the MS/V3, feel free to share information on it though. I said Id take advice from anyone who has similar sized cams, so feel free man lol.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

there are plenty of smaller cams that still sound nastey if thats all youre after. hell my hotcam sounded pretty beast, and when i tol people it was a babe 217/228 cam and 525 lift, people were stuneed
Old 06-06-2009, 08:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
Did you check out the stickies on cams in this section? or the "so you wanna be fast" sticky in Drag Racing Tech? They have some good info there. Might make your decision a little easier. Since I'm here i'll ask this-Do you like the surging of your 350? do you do alot of stop an go driving? if that doesnt bother you an you just want a car that shakes the ground everywhere you go then sure-go for a big cam. Me personally-I'd like something thats usuable in more of the powerband an not just 5000+ but I DD my car an plan on doing some road racing in the future so its really all up to you an what you like. Whatever you decide on-the tune can determine how streetable you want it so also keep that in mind-good luck man

Dude I read so much my eyes bled...jk lol

I dont mind the surging, no the majority of the driving will be more highway style. Even though I do drive the car on post and the speed limit is 30ish mph average lol, Im sure thats going to be a pain in the ***.

Let me ask this question, from a dead stop. If I were to drop my clutch and go WOT how would a MS3 car pull compared to my car's current set up which is just bolt on's? The car is a M6 so under normal driving conditions I can just shift the car and put the RPM's where I want to pass/accelerate.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol...welllll...you'd definitely notice a difference any cammed car is going to feel MUCH faster than a bolt-on car thats a given. Not sure how much you're going to like a big cammed car on post tho-you'll be a target for MP's an you'll just wanna mash it everywhere you go lol. I hate piddling around on post in my car an I have the tiniest cam known to man-I don't really enjoy it unless I'm back home on the open roads. Anyway-like someone else said-you wouldnt really need a huge cam if all you're after is the sound and top end power-a tune can do wonders, not trying to talk you out of it-just giving you my .02
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Well obviously Im not just after the sound, I also want the power. From all the reading Ive done everyone who has a MS3 or similar cam is very happy, I havent heard/read of anyone regretting their large cam decision. But any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

about the only thing i think i might not like about the v3 would be that it is harsh on valve springs and after or about 10k miles they need to be checked/replaced.. depending on how the summer goes i might swap it out for a custom cam this winter thats less abusive
Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My buddy has the ms3 cam and loves it pretty much is a weekend warrior also. I think you would like the ms3. And I don't care about loss of torque since I launch at 4000 any way
Old 06-06-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

As far as the springs go Im getting PRC double spring kit which according to TSP "This combo is perfect for customers wanting a double spring that can take years of abuse & lift up to .660"!!

Does anyone think I would have anything to worry about? I dont want a dead LS1 in a few months either lol
Old 06-06-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

im more of a trex man myself. sounds very aggressive and backs it up
Old 06-06-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

Haha Trex is more a MS4 type isnt it? I just dont want to regret my purchase and wish I would have gone smaller to keep more mid range torque. Its not like an easy thing to do either lol
Old 06-06-2009, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If you go with a cam that big, you'll need gears no doubt about it. So, I would swap your dif first then cam it and finaly put some real good heads on.
Also your 00 might want rod bolts to handle the rpm at which those cams like to run.

If lope is what you like and want to stick with your gears and keep shifts reasonable, then get a lower duration high overlap cam.9*+ overlap with slow idle will sound mean on open exhaust with a cutout.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dd a trex with for about 2 yrs. although i did mill heads, and had all supporting mods and tune. no buck, surge, etc. fair mpg also. i installed and degreed cam, pr, gaskets, vr, etc. excellent throttle response and accelration
to 65-7k arp rod bolts and pp golds. m6 with spec3+ stock rear.gear
Old 06-06-2009, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

I had TSP's 233/239 (on a 113) cam in a C5Z/LS6. As my daily driver, I would not have wanted anything bigger. It is basically one 'step' down from the MS3, but on the street (and dyno) it kept pulling to 7,000 RPM.
If you are willing to rev, and able to shift, past 6,500 RPM, then a cam in this range is certainly going to deliver. As long as you are serious about appropriate future mods, and accelerating the car in such an aggressive manner, I would not go smaller than a 232~234 'ish' cam. I think those three or four different TSP offerings are all going to give you similar results. The MS3 is proven and probably the easy 'default' choice if you had to choose a cam TODAY. I would consider where you want to STOP with your engine mods, gearing, RPM abuse, etc., and choose the cam that fits best into your ultimate goals.
I don't think you would be disappointed with TSP's 231/237 or 233/239, but if you have bigger plans and can afford the concessions and tuning requirements of the 'snottier' cams, then a MS3 is a good place to STOP.
You don't have to spend months trying to decide on a cam, but if you can research similar cars with TSP sized cams you can at least be confident you are not just choosing a wild cam because you don't want too mild. My C5 example is not a great comparison because of weight, idle characteristics, and chassis/drivetrain differences, but I understand what you are looking for (you like your power in the same 'place' that I like mine... low-end torque is overrated on modern street cars).
Old 06-06-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Hmm thats something that flew past me, I rly dont want to push my stock LS1 past 6400-6500 RPM. Maybe a V2 would be better and its still not really a baby. I do how ever aggree with you Z06, what do people race from 1500 rpm to 4,000 lol?

The future mods of my car are heads and thats it lol. I think something in the 420rwhp range give or take a little would be sick. I know this is probably beaten question, but with my current mods what kind of numbers would I expect from a V2 as opposed to a MS3?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, you may want to look close at their cams that fall between the 228R and the 233/239. Probably go with a 112 LSA.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

I daily drove my 2000 SS for a few months with a Vindicator in it (240/244). Bottom end was almost non existent, but once that thing hit 4,000 it kept pulling harder and harder all the way up to the shift at 6,500-6,700. The Torquer V2 and V3 will be a bit more friendly for street driving, but the MS3 will be a heavier hitter and pull harder upstairs. Just make sure though, that you upgrade your valvetrain accordingly with the right springs, correct length pushrods, and lifters that can handle the RPM. Upgrading your factory connecting rod bolts to ARP2000 rod bolts will help keep everything together in the upper RPM ranges as well.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you just want to sound like a race car idling just check out the ASA cam from GMPP you can usually find them decently cheap 226/236 .525/.525 110lsa 11* overlap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-rTnKFue0