Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch installed... problem with pedal stiffness

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch installed... problem with pedal stiffness

I blew up my clutch last weekend. I had the car taken to a local shop who replaced the clutch with an OEM unit. They replaced the whole clutch assembly as well as resurfaced the flywheel. When I picked the car up, the pedal was unusually stiff. I took it back and told them it didn't feel right.

The manager told me that is how a good clutch is supposed to feel, which I know is complete BS, but doesn't necessarily mean the install was bad. He also told me they bled the lines ad nauseum, so it could not be air in the lines.

The clutch feels like it sits lower than it had in the past. It is very tight, to the point that my leg was a little sore after driving it home. It also seems to be either on or off, there is very little play in the clutch at all. Not a lot of room for slipping it when taking off in first gear. When letting off the clutch in first when taking off slowly, it seems to chatter a lot as well before it is completely engaged.

Also, it must be completely slammed to floor to shift. It seems very jumpy/grabby as soon as it comes just the littlest bit off the floor.

I know this isn't normal, as this is the 3rd clutch I've had on the car so far and the first to be this stiff(last clutch was an LS6, should have been stiffer if I'm not mistaken). Any idea what the problem could be?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine would grab right off the floor and was a little stiff until I got every bit of air out. Mine now feels soft just like my 2008 mini cooper.
Was your master replaced? If its still the stock one I would recommend replacing it.

Quick Reply: New clutch installed... problem with pedal stiffness