Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Detailed my dad's Scion xB

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Detailed my dad's Scion xB

A little back story about this car. It's my Dad's 2005 Scion xB. He bought it in the summer of 2005 and has been a DD ever since. The business he works for requires him to drive all around Central and North-Central Florida, and this is the car he used. I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 130,000 miles already. Car has always been machine washed at either our local Soapy's car wash or at gas station washes. I think it's been washed by hand only a few times. The only wax it's seen is the two times he had soapy's do a "hand wax" on the car. Either way, this thing is a horrible magnet for lovebugs. There are so many flat panels facing forward it's ridiculous. My dad tried to keep up with them by washing the front with bug removal spray and a soft bristle brush after driving on the highway, but for the last year or so that hasn't been done. You'll see that the lovebugs and actually eaten through the clear and is impossible to take care of without using touchup paint or sanding it down. Anyways, only got to work on her for about 3 1/2 hours today because of a late start. This isn't one of the vehicles I was going to detail today. I'm trying to kickstart a little side business of detailing while I go to law school, so I was going to do a couple of friend's cars for free and for them to get word out. Well they couldn't show due to car problems, so I did this car instead. And, because of that, got a late start. I didn't get to buff the doors, but saw they weren't that bad with swirls as you will see in one of the last pics. Either way, I did what I could do with the car. Washed with Dawn, clay bar, rinse off, rotary polish using lake country CCS orange and white pads with meguiars #83 and 3m Finesse it II, and one coat of Zaino Z2. Here are the pics

Before

After some clay

Here is the clay bar after just ONE HALF of the roof

And the other half

Hood before buffing

After first pass of 83 and orange pad, you can clearly see the area that was worked by actually seeing the blue coming through!

The final product after white pad and 3M finesse it

Old 06-06-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

And some after pics

Old 06-07-2009, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet that was a lot of work

great before and after shots

Good job!

-jason
Old 06-07-2009, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool, what law school are you going to? I take the LSAT monday blahhhhhhhhh
Old 06-08-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Starting FAMU in August. I know people say stay away from it like the plague. After doing some research, I think they employed the right people to get accredited. Even if they don't, the decision is supposed to happen in December and its my understanding I'll be grandfathered in as long as FAMU continues to keep the school open because I started while they were still in provisional accreditation. I got into every school I appied for besides UF, and FAMU is the best combination of cost and location for me
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great work man. Detailing is tough and time consuming. Add the Florida heat to that mix and it gets downright dreadful.
I highly respect a good detail job b/c I used to do boats for a living and know the effort that goes into it. Pays very well though, especially if you get your name out there.
Keep up the good work!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the compliments! Got a Friend's MarkIII supra I'm doing Thursday. It has a couple year old paint job, but looks like it has been washed by a scotch brite pad! Should be interesting.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by black00ssFL
Starting FAMU in August. I know people say stay away from it like the plague. After doing some research, I think they employed the right people to get accredited. Even if they don't, the decision is supposed to happen in December and its my understanding I'll be grandfathered in as long as FAMU continues to keep the school open because I started while they were still in provisional accreditation. I got into every school I appied for besides UF, and FAMU is the best combination of cost and location for me
What type of LSAT score did you get? I think I am going to cancel my first score... I was actually just talking to a lawyer buddy of mine today about FAMU in case I was to end up there, and he seems to think FL will not let them lose their accreditation, plus it will make state school competition even more redonk without them. We should meet for lunch one time when you start as I work downtown near FAMU.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Count of Monte Crlo
What type of LSAT score did you get? I think I am going to cancel my first score... I was actually just talking to a lawyer buddy of mine today about FAMU in case I was to end up there, and he seems to think FL will not let them lose their accreditation, plus it will make state school competition even more redonk without them. We should meet for lunch one time when you start as I work downtown near FAMU.
Had a 157 Lsat and 3.31 gpa. Not going to famu because I have to, but because of cost and location. I just can't go anywhere in the state when u also have a house and a wife. But I agree on Florida not going to let them fail. They've dumped too much money in the program over the last few years with their new building and all. Meeting up for lunch one day sounds fine with me. I believe orientation starts the 2nd week of august.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Detailed a Friend's Mark III Supra today, here's the link.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l#post11743259

Quick Reply: Detailed my dad's Scion xB