Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

ring, pinion & bearings swap in a 10 bolt.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ring, pinion & bearings swap in a 10 bolt.......

Hi,

I realise the 10 bolt in my A4 can never be as strong as a 12 bolt, 9 inch.

In the stickies it states:
"Besides replacing the ring & pinion and bearings, adding aftermarket parts such as stronger axles only seems to be a waste of money"

Although I'm lost with this sort of work, my father is a fairly capable mechanic, but is reluctant do anything like this with the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' principal.

Is there a write up on how to swap just the ring, pinion and bearings, and how involved is it to do, could I do the swap with some help?
How long does it take to do?

Thanks for the advise.....
Old 06-07-2009, 05:21 PM
On The Tree

Not sure about the write up... there should be something in one of the stickies. Replacing the ring, pinion, and bearings is not extremely difficult; but its not easy either. There are some detail things that need to be paid attention to. If you take your time, dont rush it, and ask questions; you should be fine.

Getting the bearings off and on can be a bitch. But it can be done without "special" tools... depending on your definition of the word special.

It can be tricky shimming the diff. and putting preload on the bearings, just takes time, patience and a good feel.

Mating the ring and pinion so that it is not loose and not to tight can also be tricky.

Just my two cents.

Nick
Old 06-07-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your reply.

I've looked at the sticky write up, and it is all a bit involved (But then it does cover a whole gear swap!), and it's kind of difficult to see how involved just the ring, pinion and bearings are to do.

This does all sound a bit tricky for a relative novice, and an uninterested father!! lol
If it was broken I/we could justify the work and time involved.

Thanks for your honest opinion.......
Old 06-07-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

No problem!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taws6
Thanks for your reply.

I've looked at the sticky write up, and it is all a bit involved (But then it does cover a whole gear swap!), and it's kind of difficult to see how involved just the ring, pinion and bearings are to do.

This does all sound a bit tricky for a relative novice, and an uninterested father!! lol
If it was broken I/we could justify the work and time involved.

Thanks for your honest opinion.......
why not just break it?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 AM
TECH Resident

Q:
why not just break it?
A: $$$$$$$

It will be a while before I'm spraying/adding extra hp, so I guess I'd better budget in for the expense, just in case.