General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Scraping-squeak - Ideas appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scraping-squeak - Ideas appreciated!

Good afternoon.

I am a long time hobby drag racer, and have owned several SBC camaro's and nova's, so I am fairly mechanical, but new to the LS1. I recently purchased a 2002 TA with only 24k miles, so I expected this thing to be fairly dependable for a while for a daily cruiser. After a year of cruising with no mechanical issues, I just installed long tube headers (no cats) and a full magnaflo exhaust..... thanks to all the advice on this forum no troubles there except scraped knuckles and arms. While out test driving for the second or third time, I get in front of my house driving slow and this loud scraping-squeal starts in. It sounds rotational cuz it is not a solid sound, but consistently intermittent match with the rpm's. First thing I did was take the belts off and start it up.....noise still there. I tripple checked the headers for clearance while the engine was running....no problems there. It sounds like it is coming from around the area just in front of the starter, but cant tell for sure. It has me worried to the point that I am not driving it..... I also got under the car with the engine running to see if it was the flex plate, but that doesn't seem to be it, the noise is more up front and to the side. When the ignition is turned off, the last "scraping-squeak" seems to last longer and is definately somewhere on the passenger side of the block. Bent/broken pushrod?

Any other ideas??? Thank You!
Old 06-07-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad pushrod will tick. Try a mechanic stethescope to further pinpoint noise. I hope it's not in the block. Not saying it's a spun bearing cause we can't diagnose this **** over the internet but I have heard them sqeak in a LS1. How is your warm oil pressure? Next oil change cut open the filter and have a look and send out a sample of the oil to Blackstone Labs for analysis. Any visible copper in the filter or high content in the oil is trouble.

Double check that flexplate. It is not common but they do crack. IIRC the 02's had slightly thinner FP's than some earlier models.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Default Flexplate?

After a closer look up on jack-stands, the scraping-squeak sound is most likely coming from the flywheel area. I removed the dust cover and inspected the flywheel all 360 degree's with no visible cracks.....I cant make it repeat the noise turning the crank pulley. Just to be safe, I checked the magnetic oil plug and no shavings.....I cant see where anything is rubbing, but can only inspect the rear of the flexplate. With the engine running, the flexplate does not appear to be wabbling. DAMN! Wish there was some way to be sure b4 I attempt removing the tranny.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am betting on the flexplate then. Even though it is not obvious it doesn't mean that is not your prob. Plus being pretty much stock I really doubt a bearing cause they spin from reving too high typically with aftermarket cams (like mine) lol.....
Old 07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Talking

after removing the tranny, I could see a bent part of flexplate bolt sitting in the small groove at the bottom of the engine block, and it would rub slightly, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot on the block side of the flexplate. The flexplate bolts were all there, none were missing! So, somehow, an extra one got in there. Since it was broke and bent, I'm assuming that somebody before me had the pleasure of breaking one and the broken bolt got wedged in that groove.....so everything worked ok, but made a scraping noise. Eventually, this would have been disaster, so was a good thing I tore it down.....and, I off course had to upgrade to FTI TC, and Flexplate, and installed a Transgo shift kit.

Oh, and don't let anyone tell you replacing the TC and Flexplate in your garage is easy. It is not complicated, but those freaking bolts on the bell housing will test anyone's patience.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Glad that's all it was

Good choice on the T/C and shift kit