General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Auburn or Torsen rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Auburn or Torsen rear?

I have a '99 SS and I was told some either came with an Auburn rear or Torsen rear. I was also told that one of them can't take synthetic 75w90 fluid. I snapped a few pics of my rear too because I think it might be leaking so let me know what you guys think.
Name:  undercar004.jpg
Views: 2880
Size:  92.5 KB
Name:  undercar005.jpg
Views: 2783
Size:  83.4 KB
Old 06-07-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's some pics after I cleaned it all up.
Name:  undercar006.jpg
Views: 2559
Size:  100.4 KB
Name:  undercar007.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  113.4 KB
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

98 had auburns standard and other years were optional. Imo the torsen is a bit better even tho its a tad weaker. Theres no clutches to wear out, the torsen uses worm gears, and if you go wirth big tires and wheels the clutches in the auburn will wear out even quicker. Sadly you cant tell without taking the cover off as to which one you have. When looking at the diff an auburn will have springs in the carrier and a torsen will have screw like gears.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I see... Thanks for the reply and I will be updating this with pics when I take the cover off. So, in the pics, does it look like I have a leak?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont see one unless its leaking from the front pinion. When you seal the cover back up just rtv hi temp silicone and forget the gasket. Its cheaper easier and I've never had it leak.
Btw heres some links to an auburn and torsen pic the auburn is the one with springs inside.

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/...60/zexel50.jpg

http://www.riversidegear.com/categor...20Aub%2028.jpg
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

I have an Auburn, I think if it wears out I will probably switch to a Torsen, they can have problems but at least there is nothing that will wear out by design.

It doesn't look like you have much seepage in those pics, mine seems to have quite a bit of seepage, but the level is fine when I check it, right up to the fill plug.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the torsen, because it does not have frictional clutches like the auburn, does not require the limited-slip additive (a.k.a. friction modifier) to the gear oil. Any oil will work with the torsen, the requirement for a GL-5 "gear" oil is based on the ring & pinion gear, so any gear oil meeting GL-5 will work fine- conventional, blend, or synthetic, high-end brands like redline, royal purple all the way down to cheapo store brands. With the torsen friction modifier is used, or was used in the factory fill, because it helps to reduce overall noise; in slow tight turns the torsen can be noisy and the friction modifier helps prevent this; i've used mineral gear oil in mine with no additive and never noticed differential noise so i don't know how likely it is to happen. But the noise does not hurt anything, it is just a normal operating noise, and you can read about this on the zexel-torsen website
http://www.torsen.com/general/genera...%20rear%20axle

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...6pagesize%3d20

The Auburn Gear limited-slip differential design has been extensively tested with high quality non-synthetic 80W90 hypoid oils treated with GM or Ford friction additives (3 oz. of additive will treat 1 quart of oil). To avoid differential clutch chatter (noise) and for optimum performance, use the oil and additive described above. Use of other additive and oil types may cause differential clutch chatter.
The auburn can take synthetic, you won't hurt it. It is more of a recommendation not a requirement. What seems to happen when using synthetic or so is claimed is that the clutches don't hold as well, or slip easier, causing you lose some torque transfer capability. Worst case being a one-wheel burnout, in which case if you continue to do a one-wheel burnout you're just slipping and wearing the differential clutches.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
the torsen, because it does not have frictional clutches like the auburn, does not require the limited-slip additive (a.k.a. friction modifier) to the gear oil. Any oil will work with the torsen, the requirement for a GL-5 "gear" oil is based on the ring & pinion gear, so any gear oil meeting GL-5 will work fine- conventional, blend, or synthetic, high-end brands like redline, royal purple all the way down to cheapo store brands. With the torsen friction modifier is used, or was used in the factory fill, because it helps to reduce overall noise; in slow tight turns the torsen can be noisy and the friction modifier helps prevent this; i've used mineral gear oil in mine with no additive and never noticed differential noise so i don't know how likely it is to happen. But the noise does not hurt anything, it is just a normal operating noise, and you can read about this on the zexel-torsen website
http://www.torsen.com/general/genera...%20rear%20axle

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarke...6pagesize%3d20

The auburn can take synthetic, you won't hurt it. It is more of a recommendation not a requirement. What seems to happen when using synthetic or so is claimed is that the clutches don't hold as well, or slip easier, causing you lose some torque transfer capability. Worst case being a one-wheel burnout, in which case if you continue to do a one-wheel burnout you're just slipping and wearing the differential clutches.
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but it looks like my dealer used royal purple synthetic gear oil on my firehawk's auburn rear end when I got it serviced last year... I have been having a few issues and now the car is in the shop for service... Is there any drawbacks from changing back to a non-synthetic gear oil or what do you guys suggest?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

If your rear end is stock it is a Torsen not an Auburn. I don't see a rear end listed in your mods, did you have it changed? Either conventional or synthetic should work fine in either style, only difference is the need for the additive in the Auburn.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John02Hawk
Is there any drawbacks from changing back to a non-synthetic gear oil or what do you guys suggest?
no, if anything it'll save you money. the recommended oil is 80w-90 mineral bases non-synthetic gear oil that meets GL-5. I would just pick up the cheapest mineral gear oil from the parts store, as long as it says GL-5 on the bottle your good. And if the store doesnt specifically have 80w90 don't go hunting from store to store, 75w90 is fine.

Quick Reply: Auburn or Torsen rear?