Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mustang swap help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mustang swap help

How did you guys find out where to make your trans mount. How to center it , does it get level or just center it in the saftey loop.

It seems to not center in the middle of the tunnel , anyone have this problem
Old 06-13-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone, did your th400 sit center of the tunnel or off to the drivers side
Old 06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what i did was rest the tail of the trans on a ratchet strap, then lifted the car so i could work on it.

after that i used an angle finder and an exhaust jack to get about 2-3 degrees down. that how i figure where to set the height.

that what i did was cut the ends of the stock mustang crossmember and bolt those in the stock spot.

next i took some 1x3 box tubing and cut a lenght to mount to the trans. short enough to leave a few inches on each side.

then made 2 angle pieces out of the 1x3 to mate up the straight piece with the stock pieces. tacked it up, pulled it down and welded it.

its held up for about 150 miles so far and hard lauches at the track and its fine so far.

this second pic i was not finished welding.
Attached Thumbnails mustang swap help-crsmember3.jpg   mustang swap help-crsmembr1.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

AJE makes a th400 crossmember. It sucks though cause it mounts solidly to the trans and causes broken bellhousings. Our fabricator built a real crossmember using a standard th400 poly mount. Works mint.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the cross member made but if i center the tranny tail center of the frame rails it sits a lot to the drivers side of the car. Does this seem right, i'll try to get some pictures today and post
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tranny tunnel in the mustang is not centerd with the frame rails. The whole drive train sits towards the passenger side about an inch off center. Giving the drivers side 2 more inches of clearance than the passenger side.

Quick Reply: mustang swap help