Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Painting To Keep/Get Texture

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Painting To Keep/Get Texture

I have some Corvette fuel rail covers and I wanna bondo them to fill in the corvette letters.. But I do want to keep the texture of the plastic.. How would I go about making the FRCs looking like they are stock even though I am painting them.. I want them red BTW... And I have a SLP air lid and the radiator cover and they have been painted and smoothed out.. Is there any way that I could get my textured look back into those pieces? I didnt wanna buy new ones so I was hoping to make the texture somehow... Does anyone have any ideas?

I want my engine to LOOK stock so I wanna try to get back my texture look!!

Anyone know how to get this??
Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Talking tals7

the effect you are looking get is called a stipple finish(stupid name).you can do by spraying thicker met at a greater distance and/or paint companys have textured finish paints.either way you go you should do test pnls and the pick the effect you like.lol
Old 06-07-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After looking at paints I seen Dupli-Color makes a texture paint and Krylon makes a plastic texture paint.. Which one you think would actually give me a stock looking plastic piece texture? I want my engine bay to look stock.. No glossy paints or pieces..

And if I buy a red paint for my fuel rail covers will painting them fill in the texture of the piece making them look smooth?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 PM
10 Second Club

Talking tals7

i do proto type/factory show cars and they always want different finishes/effects on certen parts.in doing this it takes a lot of trial and err (do spray outs) and record what you did so you can pick the one you like a duplicate it on your parts.as for the textured paints you mentioned i have not used them .if they are cheap just do a spry of them.alot of the effect will deped on spray method .for a rougher finish spray at greater distence in lighter coats go slow and do not recoat to soon or paint will stack. as for the rail covers go most paint companys make spray on adheision promoter.clean them good with soap/water then apply adheision promoter then paint (laquier baised is thinest) .with this method there will be no sanding/skuffing wich would make your surface factory as posible .also go slow a dot put to much paint on per coat work up to it do not try cover them in one or to coats. hope this helps any questions just ask .lol
Old 06-08-2009, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Default tals7

i was just thinkig of the eng cover proto i did for the now current supercharged caddy.that thing was hard to do it was multi-texture/color.i just kepet playing with it for like a week or so until the gm guys were happy.just so usless info.

Quick Reply: Painting To Keep/Get Texture