Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Jeep YJ going from Ford 5.0 to GM 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Jeep YJ going from Ford 5.0 to GM 6.0

Hello to all, I am putting a LQ9 6.0L with 4L60EHD in my 94 YJ. This is not my first conversion in this YJ, I put a lot of money in a 5.0L and put it in my jeep about 5 years ago but have never been happy with it since getting the power I wanted cost me loosing my lower rpm power for cruising on the highway

To anyone else doing a YJ engine swap, and may want more power later, just go with a factory engine that has more power from the start. You just cant beat the factory engineering for longevity, durability, gas milage, easy to find replacement parts, factory tuning, and the list just keeps going.

I have done lots of research on this site for months now and it is a great site for helping with this type of project so thank you for all the info.

I do have some questions though

1. The Jeep VSS is a 3wire halleffect sensor and GM uses a 2wire inductive (so does Ford), on my Ford EEC I was able to just connect one of the ford EEC VSS wires to Jeep VSS signal and it worked fine, has anyone else tried this?

2. question 1 is because I would like to use the GM NP231 parts on my Jeep NP231 to adapter it to the 4l60e. This will save me the money of not buying an adapter and keep things closer to factory easy to get parts

3. I see everyone using different radiators and I dont see many having coolers for oil and tranny both. If running an automatic I personally feel that a stand alone external cooler is a bad idea because you want everything to somewhat stay the same temp to help durability, expanding and contracting at the same rates and so on. Do some people not run the oil cooler? Is the oil cooler needed more so because the cooling system is reversed

4. I dont fully understand the steam canister for the radiators. I see some pics with a bunch of lines off the radiator going to a canister but then see others not running one.

5. Using the factory tach, has anyone come up with a way to run the factory tach? I used a resister to make my 6 cylinder tach work on my v8 but is the GM GenIII a digital signal? I would think we can make something to make the factory tach work, has anyone done this?

6. my DBW pedal I got has a cable going to a little 90 deg gearbox with no motor on it, does a motor attach to it for the cruise control?

7. dual alternators, diesel computers use a pin on the ECM to turn on and off a 2nd alternator, the pin on the gas ECM is already used though. I would like to have the ECM control the 2nd alternator to save gas (I would guess saving gas is why they turn it on and off) has anyone found a way to do this?

Thank You