Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Car just doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be V2

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car just doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be V2

OK guys in my last thread I talked about how my sts turboed camaro with a fast 90/90 wrapped hooker 1 7/8 headers and 244/242 112 lsa cam boost at 5 psi was a LOT slower than i expected it to be...

Well, its VERY slow and I hate it. seriously, this car sucks *** right now, bone stock it would tear this thing apart, although this sounds a LOT cooler haha.

So I want more suggestions.... heres what I am thinking -

1. Ditch the 244/242 for a stock z06 cam that doesnt have any overlap because i can see how thats bad for boost but keep the wrapped headers because I cant get a stock exhaust anytime soon...

2. Screw the sts turbo kit because it killed my down low power that the car used to have, and keep the megadeath cam and go n/a

3. Im open to suggestions

Help me out here guys, im not even starting to make boost until 4k rpm in second and thats just unacceptable. Also I feel that just because the manifold is reading 5 psi, because of my ~20 degrees of overlap, most of the air is going OUT the exhaust!!! I mean once its spooled up at 5 psi, its still slow, timing at 20 degrees and perfect 12:1 air/fuel should pull!!
Old 06-08-2009, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

SOunds like you answered your own ? ditch the cam and turbo and match up the proper 1s
Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the no info responce man. Appreciate it.

Im asking people what they think.. I mean the car feels like its making JACKSHIT for power.. All it does is sound really cool... I am looking for the change that will "wake the car up"

a stock ls1 cam is something like a -20 overlap while mine is a 19 degree overlap..
Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

#1. Just get a new cam. I'm not really sure why you haven't yet.

You can't make a decision on ditching the turbo until you've given it a decent cam to work with.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

so you think getting a new cam will wake it up? im reading that most cams overlap is in the negatives, meanwhile my cam is 19 degrees posistive... which means a lot of air is escaping out of the exhaust from the intake valve... since they are both open. am i right?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it to the dyno and see if you riding the bike has messed with your head
Old 06-08-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

isnt what yoru asking for, EXACTLY what you got in your other thread? If you dont want to listen, thats not OUR fault. Half a dozen people with experience said take the headers OFF.....its YOUR ears that dont want to hear it. Ofcourse its dead stick....but we all new that already. 4k rpm....thats is lol....

Did you happen to see that the ohio boys went 202 mph on manifolds? Ah it doesnt matter, yea , take the turbo off, go na, it sounds like it would be much better for you.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1320
isnt what yoru asking for, EXACTLY what you got in your other thread? If you dont want to listen, thats not OUR fault. Half a dozen people with experience said take the headers OFF.....its YOUR ears that dont want to hear it. Ofcourse its dead stick....but we all new that already. 4k rpm....thats is lol....

Did you happen to see that the ohio boys went 202 mph on manifolds? Ah it doesnt matter, yea , take the turbo off, go na, it sounds like it would be much better for you.
Unless you wanna sell me your stock manifolds, calm down.... I stated that "i can see how thats bad for boost but keep the wrapped headers because I cant get a stock exhaust anytime soon..."

In the other thread it went off to another discussion of fast 90/90 and crap, and even when the turbo spools at 4k rpm it doesnt pull worth a ****, thats why I am suspecting the cam.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Take it to the dyno and see if you riding the bike has messed with your head
havent riden the bike in a while, its definatly slow, my stock camaro hit 140 in an area where right now i cant hit 115... its so ******* slow. thats why i am suspecting cam, headers or not, 5 psi is 5 psi, once its spooled its spooled.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back to basics my friend. First nothing wrong with sts turbos they work great. Been in two of them lt1 and ls1 both are great. Basics nothing wrong with your fast intake. Mine is working fine to at least 8psi and my car is not slow!
So cam..yeah put in a nice gt7 ling cam.works great for me. sell off your current cam.
Second you should be easily able to get stock exhaust manifolds by posting in the used section or off ebay or wrecker or gm. The sts cars I have been ran great on stock exhaust manifolds spooled up decently quick.
Also maybe you have too much timing and getting knock retard. Scan the car and make sure .Most of us turbo guys run a lot less timing like 12 or 15. Up the boost a bit to maybe 7psi. Boost makes more power than timing. Afr makes not as much as timing either. 11.0 is pretty safe, 11.5 not too bad .Don't like 12.0. Fatten it up a bit and lower timing and run 7psi maybe 8.
Dyno the car and see what its doing. Then you can compare and see whats up. Do basic maintenance stuff mabye new plugs, filter, clean air filter. Scan car see how things are doing.o2s working right...knock retard is critical..

Then you can see whats up. I think the sts turbos are very neat. And they can work great there are lots of guys running great times with them. Na will work you already have headers, you have pretty wild cam and some great heads like trik flo or afr 205s you would be rocking and you already have the fast. Should be able to get 440rwhp from that stuff or even higher. But you should be able to get 500rwhp or a bit more from your sts too. And turbos are just cool!
Stay the course..should come out fine in the end.
Also forget what you have again..m6 or auto. For m6 you can buy a two step to build boost off the line like lingenfelter makes and antilag on there too so you can leave the line under decent boost. And you can gear down in the stick if you are in third gear down to second or in fifth or sixth gear down to fourth ,pretty much instant spool up or put nitrous on there and run small shots like 50 or 75. instant spool up. Big power gain.
If you are auto can still get two step and good stall to build boost .

Dyno your car and get some numbers. Track would work too if we can look at mph.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Back to basics my friend. First nothing wrong with sts turbos they work great. Been in two of them lt1 and ls1 both are great. Basics nothing wrong with your fast intake. Mine is working fine to at least 8psi and my car is not slow!
So cam..yeah put in a nice gt7 ling cam.works great for me. sell off your current cam.
Second you should be easily able to get stock exhaust manifolds by posting in the used section or off ebay or wrecker or gm. The sts cars I have been ran great on stock exhaust manifolds spooled up decently quick.
Also maybe you have too much timing and getting knock retard. Scan the car and make sure .Most of us turbo guys run a lot less timing like 12 or 15. Up the boost a bit to maybe 7psi. Boost makes more power than timing. Afr makes not as much as timing either. 11.0 is pretty safe, 11.5 not too bad .Don't like 12.0. Fatten it up a bit and lower timing and run 7psi maybe 8.
Dyno the car and see what its doing. Then you can compare and see whats up. Do basic maintenance stuff mabye new plugs, filter, clean air filter. Scan car see how things are doing.o2s working right...knock retard is critical..

Then you can see whats up. I think the sts turbos are very neat. And they can work great there are lots of guys running great times with them. Na will work you already have headers, you have pretty wild cam and some great heads like trik flo or afr 205s you would be rocking and you already have the fast. Should be able to get 440rwhp from that stuff or even higher. But you should be able to get 500rwhp or a bit more from your sts too. And turbos are just cool!
Stay the course..should come out fine in the end.
Also forget what you have again..m6 or auto. For m6 you can buy a two step to build boost off the line like lingenfelter makes and antilag on there too so you can leave the line under decent boost. And you can gear down in the stick if you are in third gear down to second or in fifth or sixth gear down to fourth ,pretty much instant spool up or put nitrous on there and run small shots like 50 or 75. instant spool up. Big power gain.
If you are auto can still get two step and good stall to build boost .

Dyno your car and get some numbers. Track would work too if we can look at mph.

I have an m6.... im not worried about off the line performance so much as i am that the car SUCKS *** right now. i pin the throttle and it just like slowly accellerates, with it n/a if i pinned the throttle id be pushed into my seat... its cuz its wanting tons of air and its sucking through this small ******* 10 foot tube

Wanna buy my cam

I am working on getting a stock exhaust system, I think I have located one acually... just gotta get it, but thats not my priority as the turbo does spool, its just slow as ****...

as for timing, since i have headers, i can have much more timing, i am getting 0 KR

Last edited by brianfromhawaii; 06-09-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you auto or stick sorry forgot and too lazy to go back and look at other posts.
I am on too many boards.

You t67 is likely going to spool full up at 4000 but shoudl start coming in about 500 or so under I would think.
As said a small shot of spray will instant spool it . Use the money from selling cam and headers to buy nitrous and better turbo friendly cam, stock manifolds are cheap. No idea why headers would help you run more timing. Zero knock retard is good. Yeah no reason to knock down timing if you have no knock. But boost still makes more power than timing so up boost then maybe lower timing.
Dyno the car and see where its at. The butt meter is not the best test for a car. Buddies car feels pretty slow to me but can do 12.9 thats not bad for near stock lt1 with stall ,headers and bolt ons.
Dyno or track mph would show us a lot about your car.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:04 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Are you auto or stick sorry forgot and too lazy to go back and look at other posts.
I am on too many boards.

You t67 is likely going to spool full up at 4000 but shoudl start coming in about 500 or so under I would think.
As said a small shot of spray will instant spool it . Use the money from selling cam and headers to buy nitrous and better turbo friendly cam, stock manifolds are cheap. No idea why headers would help you run more timing. Zero knock retard is good. Yeah no reason to knock down timing if you have no knock. But boost still makes more power than timing so up boost then maybe lower timing.
Dyno the car and see where its at. The butt meter is not the best test for a car. Buddies car feels pretty slow to me but can do 12.9 thats not bad for near stock lt1 with stall ,headers and bolt ons.
Dyno or track mph would show us a lot about your car.
even with stock manifolds full spool 4000? well, im spooling at 4k with this rediculous cam and headers!!!

I already have nitrous, but im looking for a daily driver street killer, not a fill up the bottle its race day car... i forget why headers help you get more timing, but they do.. i dont have access to a dyno as the car isnt street legal but i know what mph i used to hit on the road where i live and what i am hitting now, the car just feels slower, in first gear n/a when it would hit 4000 rpms it would burn the tires off, now it just goes....
Old 06-09-2009, 11:55 AM
10 Second Club

like everyone else has said.... get rid of the big *** cam and the LT's. That cam is WAY too big for your setup and is screwing up your power down low. The LT's are screwing it up even more. The 67 should spool damn near instantly...

your cam/exhaust is more setup for n/a...

Last edited by RooRnZ28; 06-09-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

just for experiments sake, im gonna replace the cam first, but will be trying to get the stock manifolds and such.... i need a lift to change the manifolds so thats a problem right now..
Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't even run that cam NA. Specially if you still have stock heads which have a poor exhaust flow already. Also, that cam is huge for a stock cubed motor. Sell it as quickly as possible for whatever you can get for it as I can't think of a good application for that cam except maybe with a big cubed front mount that has really good exh port flowing heads and stock manifolds. Even then, I would want a little higher LSA to tighten up the overlap a little more.

So, change the cam to the LS6 cam, drop a little timing and turn up the boost a little more. Should do wonders and be much much more pleasant to drive around town in stop and go traffic.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I wouldn't even run that cam NA. Specially if you still have stock heads which have a poor exhaust flow already. Also, that cam is huge for a stock cubed motor. Sell it as quickly as possible for whatever you can get for it as I can't think of a good application for that cam except maybe with a big cubed front mount that has really good exh port flowing heads and stock manifolds. Even then, I would want a little higher LSA to tighten up the overlap a little more.

So, change the cam to the LS6 cam, drop a little timing and turn up the boost a little more. Should do wonders and be much much more pleasant to drive around town in stop and go traffic.
OK. gonna try to sell the cam.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Restricted User

Brian, are you absultely sure that you aren't having some other mechanical problem? I'm only saying this because I see it all the time. Have you done the basic checking of leakdown and compression? Plugs look good? Sure you arent floating valves or blowing out spark? Regardless sell that cam though.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

update - talked to gary at hpe, gonna trade him my megadeathcam for a 02 z06 cam

whatta nice guy
Old 06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by brianfromhawaii
update - talked to gary at hpe, gonna trade him my megadeathcam for a 02 z06 cam

whatta nice guy
Awesome. Even though the price difference between them new is alot, you'd have a hard time selling that cam.

Quick Reply: Car just doesnt seem to be as fast as it should be V2