Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Dana 60 install and comments

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Dana 60 install and comments

Just finished installing my dana 60 today. It is tru track ,3.54 gears.
Install went pretty good. We didn't even bleed the brakes just managed to slip the brake lines over the ends of the stock rearend and the Dana. Strange had chrome moly driveshaft in stock to connect to my t56. Will be selling this one and ordering a custom driveshaft shortly when convert to 4l80. My bmr bolt on relocation brackets fit perfectly on the dana. My big fat hotchkis sway bar is not as good a fit it will work but think going to a bit thinner one. Had to move the brackets on the hotchkis pretty much into the curved area to make things line up on the dana. Stock sway would fit perfect though. But I like aftermarket bigger bars.

Actually rear end was a perfect fit, basically plug and play.
I put in the supplied lucas gear oil and put 50 break in highway mostly miles on the rearend. It doesn't seem loud , at least not yet. I have reasonably loud exhaust and powerful stereo but could talk in the car and normal volume wan't trying to outshout some horrible whine. I have had horrible in this car louder than the exhaust or stereo some 4.10 motives in stock rear and some 3.73 richmonds in tne stock rear. They were so horrible went back to stock 3.42 gears.
Now the Dana might be fairly quiet for couple of reasons. One I got 3.54 gear5s and usually bigger the gear numerically the louder they get.
And secondly strange said they are going oem gears now to keep things quiet in the strange .Not sure if every ration but at least on my 3.54.
So see how the rear is as put on more miles but so far happy camper. Thing looks massive and serious. 10 bolts are a huge joke. I would have went to spool or locker but going to auto think will be ok with tru trac and dana tru track can take a lot of power being 35 spline. Dana ring gear of course is very massive and strong as well. The weight didn't notice well actually it seemed to help when got caught in storm tonite. It seemed to help give me traction and keep the car stable. So weight is maybe not always a bad thing. Especially when its at least in the back of the car.

Oh Dana was unpainted and painted it and driveshaft which was chrome moly steel.
Dana came with backing plates paid extra and that also helped it be plug and play.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds sweet man, thats the rear end im gonna go with once i get the cash saved up. If you dont mind telling, how much did you give for it and where did you order it from?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

I paid reg price didnt' get a gp price just wanted it when I wanted it. I got it from speed inc. It was price on their website plus added the backing plates wasn't sure how easy it would be to swap them over. So it was plug and play and paid think extra for 3 channel abs?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear. everthing usually goes smooth on the S60 installs. Did you have to cut/modify the bracket on the Torque arm? I did.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Default tals7

i also have s-60.awsome rear plug and play.mine has 4.10 gear and detroit locker.it is behind my 650hp ls7.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Man I would love to have a S60!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 04:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenSS
good to hear. everthing usually goes smooth on the S60 installs. Did you have to cut/modify the bracket on the Torque arm? I did.
By modify do you mean cut the extra holes that would go for a moser 12 bolt off? If so i have been planning on doing that for some time, and probably should have done that before i installed it the first time.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
By modify do you mean cut the extra holes that would go for a moser 12 bolt off? If so i have been planning on doing that for some time, and probably should have done that before i installed it the first time.
yep, that is what i meant.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Makes me wish that they had two options for torque arms, one that would have 4 holes for the moser 12 bolt and another with just two holes for every other rear out there.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
Makes me wish that they had two options for torque arms, one that would have 4 holes for the moser 12 bolt and another with just two holes for every other rear out there.
i agree 100%.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Veteran

guys can someone scan me the strange instructions didnt' get any. bmr sent some but they are wrong ones and say they don't have pic of the right ones. Strange was supposed to but who knows whats up with that. I have the bmr torque arm the regular long one not the extreme or the track pack. I want to get my new torque arm on the car don't trust that flimsy factory one.

Oh and while don't think have any big whining happening think the rear end makes some mechanical noise think on decel and think at various speeds. is this about what most of you other guys are getting with it.I read the tru track since it don't use clutches but more like direct worm gears is good but does have more noise. I have had really terrible whining stock 3.73 and 4.10 gears and so far its nothing like that. Can easily hold a conversation at any speed so far . Am at 250 miles, break in completed. and going to hammer on it a bit now.
Some of what I think might be rear end noise might be other things.I have nittos at present and they are worn down a lot so think they are adding noise especially at highway speed.I have a few wheels that have runout thing its called?? I have 10 year old tires on the front. I am way out of alignment so getting that done today, that adds vibrations and maybe noise past 70 mph or so. I also think my exhaust might be touching under there. I still have stock torque arm right now.
And some noise I think might be rear end might be resonance of my catback.
So far the noise is easily drowned out with stereo and exhaust. And not talking cranking up the stereo much at all either.My exhaust is semi loud with no cats but the turbos absorb some noise . I have b and b catback thinking of changing to hooker aerochamber but they are not stainless and my b and b is.
I have electric cutout as well.
I still should have not been in a rush and should have checked the contact pattern and backlash settings. Buddy helping me install knows how to do all that stuff.
Strange did say they are using oem gears in the rear ends for last year or so.
I was planning on buying oem or yukon gears or maybe these other kind superior? as they were advertised for criitical noise applications. I want as quiet a rear end as I can get but of course also want strong. I can't see how a monster rear end like this won't make some mechanical noises after all they were mostly used in big trucks. I wonder if the old mopar guys noticed or commented on how they were in their chargers or roadrunners or whatever couple cars they actually were used factory in?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i did not get any instructions with my rear. But of course that was 1.5 years ago. the torque arm cutting i found out the hard way. My car is an automatic but my rear is quiet. minus the locker clicking going around sharp turns/corners.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok got the instructions from strange It shows pics of bmr but says for extreme and track pack only and then for spohn but not regular bmr but assume just do it as shown in the spohn diagram which is just slightly different.
Says you have to cut it to not have tunnel interference.
So anyone with lowered car have any problems as said mine is an inch max dropped with slp eibach springs from think firehawks.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Strange F-Body S60 Instructions showing Sphone and BMR TA Modification
Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cut away.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the rear swap to my Dana went like cake, m6 4:10's and no fear of blowing the rear= priceless
Old 06-11-2009, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

My S60 fit perfect with all NON adjustable Suspension and 27" tires center perfect ! Would not suggest anything else!

Quick Reply: Dana 60 install and comments