Why are my rear wheels leaning in? Please Help!!

Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why are my rear wheels leaning in? Please Help!!

Alright the rear wheels on my friends car are leaning in at the top causing the tires to wear on the inside. It has ebaich springs, bilstein shocks, after market control arms, bmr control arm relocation brackets, and a stock torque arm with a stock ten bolt. the rims are not bent the axles are good cause they are brand new. It also has an after market ajb pan hard bar. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say phr, but not what kind of car. Doesn't make sense to have the ability to lean if you're running solid axle f-body with 10-bolt. . . .unless your 10-bolt is seriously tweaked. . .

pics.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Teching In

maybe the tube is bent where the tube meets the center section. I know it isnt a fully welded joint, might have started to kinda dip in the center... just a thought..
Old 06-10-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2001AntiVenom
Alright the rear wheels on my friends car are leaning in at the top causing the tires to wear on the inside. It has ebaich springs, bilstein shocks, after market control arms, bmr control arm relocation brackets, and a stock torque arm with a stock ten bolt. the rims are not bent the axles are good cause they are brand new. It also has an after market ajb pan hard bar. Has anyone else had this problem?

...I would have a hard time believing that the tires are leaning in on the solid rear axle without a pic ....

Check tire pressures ..... were the tires rotated recently?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Launching!

have you tried getting a 4 wheel alignment done? the rear wheels can be out of alignment causing a problem like that. that's the first thing i would have checked.

i will mention that when i did my wheel trade, the guy i got the wheels from had the same problem, the rear tires were worn completely bald just on the inside ridge of each one. he was telling me it was because the shocks were bad, and that he replaced them and it cured his problem.

i would lean more towards alignment myself
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Teching In

did your friend lower it and does it have a camber kit installed if your friend doesnt have a solid axle?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

maybe he has been driving it in reverse this whole time, and that's actually the front end that is leaning in...
Old 06-10-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

and this is what kind of car?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
have you tried getting a 4 wheel alignment done? the rear wheels can be out of alignment causing a problem like that. that's the first thing i would have checked.

i will mention that when i did my wheel trade, the guy i got the wheels from had the same problem, the rear tires were worn completely bald just on the inside ridge of each one. he was telling me it was because the shocks were bad, and that he replaced them and it cured his problem.

How exactly do you get a 4 wheel alignment on a solid axle rear end car with non adjustable suspension?
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Only 2 things are going to cause a visual problem like that. Either you were Dukes of Hazarding the car jumpin Uncle Jesse's pond and landed so hard that it pressed the axle tubes up or your wheels are about to fall off because the lug nuts are not tightened.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by A-Dub
How exactly do you get a 4 wheel alignment on a solid axle rear end car with non adjustable suspension?
he has ajustable phb and other aftermaket adjustable suspension parts....like rooster said, it could be that the "torque" angle (axle is not centered) is off...... (adjustable phb/trackbar)

.... but that wouldn't make the tires lean in at the top...
Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Launching!

tell the fat chick in the backseat to get out
Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
12 Second Club

The only alignment on a solid axle vehicle (that I know of) is caster and pinion angle - Not camber.

If the camber is off then either someone installed IRS in the night or you have serious problems.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Could check for slack in the wheel bearings... Is it making odd noise?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would assume the op would know about issues with a IRS car. Suspension could be getting old and saggy, or could have lowered the car and needs a camber kit.

If its a solid axle something would have to be seriously fucked up.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep all fours on the pavement . . . quit jump'n it over RR tracks !
Old 06-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
maybe he has been driving it in reverse this whole time, and that's actually the front end that is leaning in...
That could be the problem.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rooster99ss

lol thats the car im talking about. But im trying to explain to him that the shocks and springs are NOT going to make the wheels lean in or out. LOL Also he got the rear end out of a junk yard so the axle tubes are prolly bent

Also the car is an 01 camaro. I tried to tell him that the susp wont make the wheels lean but he wont listen

Last edited by 2001AntiVenom; 06-10-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001AntiVenom
lol thats the car im talking about. But im trying to explain to him that the shocks and springs are NOT going to make the wheels lean in or out. LOL Also he got the rear end out of a junk yard so the axle tubes are prolly bent

Also the car is an 01 camaro. I tried to tell him that the susp wont make the wheels lean but he wont listen
lol, yeah steven told me that and i was like oookaaayyy

i didn't want to say anything, and he was telling me that it fixed the problem, so i was like ok cool, never heard of that before. sucks to hear he's still having the problem, hope he gets it fixed. i already had those rear tires that were on the back wheels replaced with some good Mickey Thompson rubber
Old 06-11-2009, 01:33 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I knew you had to be talking about Steven, did it do it with my 12 bolt in the car? If not then it is that junky *** 10 bolt that i put in there, and I have NEVER had so much hell replacing a axle in the passenger sode of a f body in my life, the junk yard rear has been thru hell man.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why are my rear wheels leaning in? Please Help!!