Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Drag brakes or custom wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Drag brakes or custom wheels?

What's everyone's opinion should I go with?

I was either thinking the Strange/Aerospace brakes
Or going with Bogart Wheels or the Weldstar wheels

If I go with the brakes, I will most likely be putting on Pro-Stars or Draglites.

Just wanted to get some people's opinions. Going on a 96 firebird

Thanks alot,
Greg
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is street driven at all I would get custom rims, drag brakes are for drag racing.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your car is street driven much stay away from drag brakes like BSMachine said there for racing ....and i would avoid Bogarts as well they are very light and will not stand up to street use and there a lot of $ .......i would get Pro-Stars or Draglites and do some weight reduction around the car instead
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

If you have the $$$ and the car has street usage, I'd leave the brakes and keep your stock wheels. Then buy a set of Bogarts for track duty.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually like prostars. so for me they wouldnt be my second choice to bogarts
Old 06-10-2009, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clarify regarding our Bogart wheels, we have many styles, some are drag only then to the other extreme of road racing duty...as well as in between.

Our wheels are not the most expensive nor should they by standards today as being out of the reach of many. We are the only company to date still that offers a direct fit front/rear drag wheel combo on the market. We also happen to be the lightest as well. We will and can make other custom combinations for those who want it. We offer custom built solutions for each racer…something most others do not and won’t consider.

Regarding choices, you've got many. It depends what you're trying to do.

15" wheels if you're considering a skinny/fat combo was originally designed and works best as a drag combination wheel used for performance enhancements whereas using them we can drop your 1/4 miles easily up to 2 tenths of a second, keeping your 60 ft times shorter and your braking distances shorter. This is due to our wheels designed for performance in mind.

We can build a street version skinny/fat combo, but it will not give you near the advantages and reasoning for going with these types of wheels.

Due to performance changes for daily driving skinny/fat wheels really don't work well as a daily usage combo...no matter how durable we make them. You’re going to turn your car into a vehicle that doesn't steer near as well as it originally was...it won’t stop as well since most of your braking is now limited to a skinny wheel...

...I've been seeing change lately for some street 15" skinny/fat combinations that apparently appeal to some. The problem is that these "street setups" are not light...and for the most part, you're turning the car into a terrible handling car without the performance benefits. If you only want to "look" like a racer than that is ok.

If you want drag brakes, we can build you wheels that would cost less that direct fit LT1 or LS1 wheels. I can help you with your drag brake choice too

Our wheels would cost less…this is due to the fact drag brakes require less customization …you could use prostars, you’ll be leaving ~50 lbs of converted mass on your car over our wheels…actually, quite a bit more if we are only building the wheels to drag brake specs. If you compare costs, comparably, we are not far off on pricing. Actually, our product is a FAR better value as for the weight loss…people spend 600.00 with a k-member just to lose 25-30lbs. Using our wheels over most others, you’ll be dropping at min. 50lbs of converted weight.

Most importantly, if you feel comfortable using prostars as your choice, feel no differently using our P1 LS1/LT1 version wheels.

Please give me a call if you'd like to discuss your options further.