Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch or tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clutch or tranny issue?

i recently have been noticing that on a rolling start in first gear the car will be a bit more sluggish then after a couple seconds it feels like the power kicks in all of a sudden, almost like a little clutch slip. the shifting has also been more clunkier. sometimes on the start the wheels will chirp a bit. a couple months ago i heard lots of rattling coming from my clutch but then i went away. is this a sign of my clutch being to give or is this a tranny issue?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gtrtony
i recently have been noticing that on a rolling start in first gear the car will be a bit more sluggish then after a couple seconds it feels like the power kicks in all of a sudden, almost like a little clutch slip. the shifting has also been more clunkier. sometimes on the start the wheels will chirp a bit. a couple months ago i heard lots of rattling coming from my clutch but then i went away. is this a sign of my clutch being to give or is this a tranny issue?

If the clutch slips, tires are not gonna "chirp" and power will not just kick on after a few seconds. What will happen is, the motor will REV freely (like you have the clutch pedal depressed, even though you don't).

Now, shifting, a "bit clunkier" and "heard lots of rattling" now that sounds more like a clutch or tranny issue. In other words, I think you may have a power problem AND a drivetrain problem.

Couple things first:
Year/make/model/mileage/how long have you had it? miles? Clutch old new not sure?

Sluggish car you can have fuel related problem, sensor problem...any check engine lights? Need some more details.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Teching In

99 trans am/149000 miles /got the car at 65000 miles/changed clutch at 75000/ it has to be some type of driveline issue but not sure/ it was fine before i did the gear and diff swap(410's and detroit locker). well guess its not a slip/the power is there but couple seconds later it kicks into smoother power/i had my mechanic test it and he said that the flywheel might be bad and that the disc is not gripping onto the flywheel/he thinks one of the springs might have got lose and damaged the flywheel/ sorry guys i dont have that much knowledge just the basics.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off I would look into replacing (or at least checking out) that clutch. With that many miles on it it's probably on its way out, or close to it, and if you're hearing other drivetrain sounds, you're gonna have to pull the trans to take a peak at the clutch setup anyways. If you're going through that work, I wouldn't bother leaving a clutch with that many miles on it in the car even if it's not dead yet.

Also, those lockers are known to be very noisy, just so you're aware. If it was fine until you did the swap, you could be getting some rear end noise transferring up through the drivetrain. Whines, clunks, etc from the rear can often sound like they're coming from the trans. But if your clunk sounded like it was coming from the clutch and you're also experiencing slipping (or similar) issues, I'd look there first.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Teching In

When we did the diff work we noticed that the the driveshaft was damaged. It was warped really bad from a broken torgue arm and it bounced up on the tunnel . I changed the shaft along with new poly tranny and engine mounts and it hasn't been the same after that. Could the warped shaft have damaged the tranny or clutch?
Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gtrtony
When we did the diff work we noticed that the the driveshaft was damaged. It was warped really bad from a broken torgue arm and it bounced up on the tunnel . I changed the shaft along with new poly tranny and engine mounts and it hasn't been the same after that. Could the warped shaft have damaged the tranny or clutch?

First of all, that many miles, clutch is probaly gone. ALSO, your stock hydraulics are probaly toast as well. Assuming you have stock stuff since no mention of other.

Could a bent driveshaft damaged teh ttranny? yeah, possible. May have caused premature wear on output shaft and seal, depending on how bent it was.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach

Also, those lockers are known to be very noisy, just so you're aware. If it was fine until you did the swap, you could be getting some rear end noise transferring up through the drivetrain. .

Agreed!