Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long tube question

for those of you who have already installed long tubes, i have a set of pacesetter LTs to put in and was wondering if they will sit lower (closer to the ground) than the stock exhaust. from some of the pics i've seen in other threads it looks like you gain a little clearance on top of the exhaust and it sits lower to the ground which gives the clearance problem i hear so much about.

the reason i ask is i have a custom catted y pipe with the thunderbolt cats (4 inches at the widest point) that i'm not sure will clear if the long tubes don't sit lower than the factory exhaust. right now with the stock set up i have about an inch and a half of clearance from the top of the exhaust to the underside of the car, if that helps explain it.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

They will sit lower to the ground in comparison to stock manifolds. I have to be careful when going up certain driveways and leaving certain parking lots. I've also scrapped my headers on speed bumps.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

after re-reading your post...I also want to add that if you have older stock motor mounts, they might be sagging, which will also make the headers hang lower, which in your case, might be good...if you are having doubts about clearance above your Y-pipe.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for the info, i have poly mounts that i'll be putting in at the same time but if the long tubes will sit lower already, i think i'll be ok. about how much lower did yours sit?
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

a good bit. I'll see if I can get a pic later today on my break. .