Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 z/28 little problem, but ANY help would be extremely appreciated, thanks!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 z/28 little problem, but ANY help would be extremely appreciated, thanks!!

i have a 1998 Z/28 camaro

i've owned 2 lt1's an i like them, but
i love ls1's, unfortunately i dont know alot about them, so that statement brings me to my question, its fast but not near as fast as i want it, i cant do an egi. swap or get a new crate egi because rent right now is kickin my ***, the only 2 things it has is im almost positive, is a shift kit, and 2 i think its programmed/chipped, because it shifts between 6 and 7 grand, but when it shifts it shifts like hell, it hits hard enough sometimes when i have it WOT it will bark the tires, after saying all that, i want it faster, not lightning fast but, i want it to get up and go, since i was 16 ive raced on dirt courses with sprint cars, and road races/rally for the last year in a half, so i can drive and handle a car that has alot of power, i realize though at 182,xxx miles theres not much you can do, but what can i do that wont hurt the motor, atleast short term damage??

in a year or so, im getting a 05 GTO with a couple thousand miles on it that my big brothers gonna give me whenever i get outta M.C.B.C. so at that point the car can be thrashed an itll be the leasrt of my worries, what mods\can i throw on that car an it still run strong/stronger a hold up for atleast a year, or close to it.

i wanna cam it, deffinitly get a cold air intake, would new rear end hurt it??

pleasem any advice would be great!!!

Last edited by LS1.Forever; 06-13-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Banned

Thats quite a bit of miles, I recommend Long tube headers, an off road Y pipe, a catback, an intake, and a tune, that should put you at around 340-350 RWHP

Have you considered nitrous?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if I would do spray on a car turning 200k (but then again, what do I know about N20).
Do full exhaust and get a ported ls6 intake. You should feel some difference, at least enough to hold you over for a year..
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

full bolt-ons, cam, and rear is gonna be alot of money plus u will have to get a tune for the cam. i say just do full bolt-on's and a little shot or something
Old 06-13-2009, 03:40 AM

ya i thought about a little NOS like a 50 or 75 shot with a microswitch, so the only time the NOS would be engaged is at WOT, but i did a little research, and a car goin on 200k miles, i thought it would be damn hard an the egi. but everyone said it wouldnt be bad, at the same time though it would be far from good. i really dont know. im thinkin about a ported ls6 manifold and the z06 air aintake, headers (shorty or long what sounds more dirty and mean??) cause i can get HP other ways id love for the car to sound as aggrassive as it can. true duals with hi-flow cats into loudmouth1?? would a CAM be hard on an engine with 200k miles??

sorry for the novels im writtin you, im just really tryin to get as much help as i can in one message as i can without overloadin you.

but i really appreciate every bit of it.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:43 AM

money is another story, i work at an oil rig in waco, one month on one off, i can save for stuff id like to get, and need to get. but would a CAM be hard on an egi with 182k miles with a full all round tune up?? maybe get the car flushed?? oil pan, trans. fluid, etc?? make sure eveythings clean, runnin right, an tip top.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:49 AM

i'd like for it to run LOW 8's or low/mid 8's would be fine, i'd be runnin it on an 1/8 mile track. . . . . . . . . .thanks for everyones help, i appreciate it alot.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers - $400 new
Y-pipe - $150 new
Torque converter - $725 new
Lid - $100 new
LS6 intake - $300 used
Gears - ???? check around for used rearends with gears already installed... easy to swap and around $200-300.

Good for LOW 12s, high 11s in 1/4. Mid-high 7s in the 1/8.

(Edit: Sorry, I just saw this post was 5 days old)