Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optimum Tranny temp at the track.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimum Tranny temp at the track.....

Was hoping to get some feedback on what tranny temps some of the drag race crowd is seeing. I have a 4l60 with a 4k edge stall and last night I was seeing 220 degrees on the tranny temp... thoughts?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 AM
9 Second Club

I don't even have a tranny temp guage in the car. I don't want to know!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by tektrans
I don't even have a tranny temp guage in the car. I don't want to know!
lol, I probably shouldn't be watching one either. I'm just **** when it comes to bracket racing and I try and keep everything the same.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a cooler? That temp is about 20 degrees high. Best would be in the 180-190 range. But that is hard to get at the track. Are you letting the car idle in the pits? That will actually heat it up.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:29 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by dlove
do you have a cooler? That temp is about 20 degrees high. Best would be in the 180-190 range. But that is hard to get at the track. Are you letting the car idle in the pits? That will actually heat it up.
I have a tranny cooler and no, I don't let it idle in the pits. I don't use a trans brake but I do come up to 2700 on a 2 step.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have it running inline with the stock trans cooler in the radiator so you will most likely not get it lower then the engine coolant temps. Disconnect the lines and run just through the external and recheck the temps,
Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
Sounds like you have it running inline with the stock trans cooler in the radiator so you will most likely not get it lower then the engine coolant temps. Disconnect the lines and run just through the external and recheck the temps,
that's interesting, I will check on that. Definately makes sense.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like to pull to the line till the tranny temp is at or below 150. Sometimes it doesn't happen that way though. The closer you get to a final, the less time you have for a cool down, but I take what I can get. Full throttle 2-3 upshifts with a hot tranny will eventually make your 3-4 clutches go by-by.

Mec
Old 06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Greaseymec
I dont like to pull to the line till the tranny temp is at or below 150. Sometimes it doesn't happen that way though. The closer you get to a final, the less time you have for a cool down, but I take what I can get. Full throttle 2-3 upshifts with a hot tranny will eventually make your 3-4 clutches go by-by.

Mec
That's what I'm afraid of. I installed the aux fan switch for when I'm in the pits but can't leave that running very long (need to figure out a way to put a timer on that switch)
Old 06-11-2009, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Depending on what you have done to the computer, it reads tranny temps and coolant temps and retards / advances timing accordingly. Cool the engine down too much and the VCM will make sure the timing gets cut back. Get the tranny too hot and the same thing happens. I cooled my stuff down and even iced the intake and slowed down 0.29 seconds. A non VCM controlled car would have picked up. I turned all those intake air temp and engine coolant relationships off in relation to timing and did the same thing with cool water and ice a few weeks later and picked up 0.22 seconds from the prior run.

You can cool it or heat it all you want, but until you take control of the computer, it will compensate accordingly.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by b.d.d.
Depending on what you have done to the computer, it reads tranny temps and coolant temps and retards / advances timing accordingly. Cool the engine down too much and the VCM will make sure the timing gets cut back. Get the tranny too hot and the same thing happens. I cooled my stuff down and even iced the intake and slowed down 0.29 seconds. A non VCM controlled car would have picked up. I turned all those intake air temp and engine coolant relationships off in relation to timing and did the same thing with cool water and ice a few weeks later and picked up 0.22 seconds from the prior run.

You can cool it or heat it all you want, but until you take control of the computer, it will compensate accordingly.
meaning a speed density tune?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:02 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by b.d.d.

Good stuff right there. Learn something new everyday.