Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Air lid "notching" for latches

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLP Air lid "notching" for latches

I just got finished putting my new SLP lid on and I was hoping for a quick response if anyone out there can help me.
Everything fits alright, but I've came across one of the same problems many people have, the rounded edege on the lid causes the latches to overtighten and pop loose. I've heard of people notching the lid to make the latches stay latched. Has Anyone notched thier lid like this?????? If so, what is the best way to do this, and do you have any pictures of it? OR... is there a better way to make the latches stay latched without having to notch the lid??? Hope someone out there can help me. Thanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the lid fully pushed back so front edge sits behind the lip of the lower airbox?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, sounds like that the lid is not all the way on in the back. Which is why the latch pops open.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by haddockWS6
I just got finished putting my new SLP lid on and I was hoping for a quick response if anyone out there can help me.
Everything fits alright, but I've came across one of the same problems many people have, the rounded edege on the lid causes the latches to overtighten and pop loose. I've heard of people notching the lid to make the latches stay latched. Has Anyone notched thier lid like this?????? If so, what is the best way to do this, and do you have any pictures of it? OR... is there a better way to make the latches stay latched without having to notch the lid??? Hope someone out there can help me. Thanks.
ahhh.. Rookie mistake make sure the lid is all the way push back toward the maf senor and is not binding up on anything.. and the filter is properly installed.. It should be fine after that.. Mine did the same thing but after check it.. it wasn't installed all the way..
Old 06-11-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Same thing happened to me. The front lip needs to be on the inside of the lower airbox, or this will happen. I notched my lid for the clips only to find out I had been installing it wrong... yeah..
Old 06-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Do you have the lid fully pushed back so front edge sits behind the lip of the lower airbox?
Yep sure do. Noticed that could be a potential problem if I didnt while putting it on. Getting the lid to sit back and in the correct spot was not my problem. Everything fit fine, its just that the rounded edge on the slp lid doesn't let the latches seat like they do on the stock lid so its quite a reach and they just barely stay latched. I've drove the car for a little bit and they are staying latched, so I'm thinking it will be fine now. I was just curious if anyone has had to notch the lid. Thanks for the quick replys though.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Just another reinforcement for pushing the lid back behind the front lip. Mine have never come loose after that.

Quick Reply: SLP Air lid "notching" for latches