Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Looking into getting a Ford 9", where to get started?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking into getting a Ford 9", where to get started?

Wheres the best place to buy one?

Should I piece it together myself or have it just built for me?

Input please.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personaly would stay away from the Moser, i got 2 headache making rears from them in a row, and they ripped me off on the return shipping! they will probably do the same to others, look elswhere. Try Currie
Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

well this car is my daily driver, i want something dependable that I can live with on a daily basis, yet still be comfortable taking it to the track when I want to run it.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

We have sold over a million dollars worth of Moser rears and have had our customers have very few problems with them. There are more people on this forum with a Moser rear than any other brand. Bob
Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by STMPDUST
I personaly would stay away from the Moser, i got 2 headache making rears from them in a row, and they ripped me off on the return shipping! they will probably do the same to others, look elswhere. Try Currie
I had bad luck with moser also.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:30 AM
11 Second Club

I have a Moser housing filled with Strange Parts. Its almost done and with a chromoly DS I have $2500 in it. It has a S-case, Billet pinion support, Detroit locker, Richmond Gears and 35 spline S/T axles. I scored a housing for $400
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a Strange S60 and be happy.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Call Eric at Midwest, hands down the best rearend for the money, lightweight and Eric stands behind his product.

My midwest only has moser axles so I cant speak about the quality but I have seen quite a few guys with issues. From what I have seen though if you are going to buy a moser I wouldnt go through anyone but Bob at EPP, he is on here all teh time answering questions and seems to stand behind his sales very well.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The value and durability of the Midwest 9 inch is superior in the 9 inch rearends, by far. there are other rearends out there that are worthy of what you are looking for.
The S60 is a great bolt-in piece, super strong, just a bit heavy. add up all the features and consider the little things not available from the others and you will find the Midwest Chassis 9 inch is the best bang for the buck.
a 9 inch and S60 are the only two i would consider with a M6 car.

Keep in mind... I am a Dealer for Strange, Moser and of course the oem of the Midwest 9 inch. I will get you the best deal on any rearend you choose.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I researched this same thing when I was contemplating a rearend a few months ago. Some things to consider:

1. Do you have the mechanical ability to setup your own gears?
2. Are you willing to sacrifice a litttle bit of legwork for a better price?
3. Are you looking for a rearend that you can bolt-in and drive without any issues?

If you don't mind doing a little bit more work, and can setup your own gears, then I would consider piecing it together. I saved hundreds of dollars by using a few used parts, looking around for the best deals and doing my own gear setup. Here is a link to my original thread where I purchased a Quick Performance 9" housing with axles, and setup my own center section and gears. Check page 5 for some pics after it was all powdercoated.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axl...housing-5.html

Mike
Old 06-12-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

I decided to go with midwest chassis. I was pretty much set on the moser M9 but I heard too many stories of noisy rearends from them. Now everyone has a few issues, everyone. The part that got me though was how moser stands behind its product, or rather, how it doesnt in my mind. I didnt feel like spending 3-4 thousand with a company that is gonna beat around the bush or have me pay to ship it back when there is a problem. Strange seems to be pretty good about working with you and a local shop to get the problems fixed, and midwest chassis hasnt had any real problems to note yet.

Bottom line, I refuse to spend thousands with a company that focus's more on pushing the part out the door as fast as possible, rather that quality seemingly. I would have loved to give bob @ EPP more of my buisiness as I have spent many thousands with him in the past, and he works very hard to make everyone happy and is an all around great person and vendor, but I just couldnt do it with moser. They just need to work on things a lil at moser.

Just my .02

Last edited by BIG BAD BLACKSS; 06-12-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote for the Midwest 9" here, close to 3000 street miles on mine so far w/o a hiccup.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

We have sold over a million dollars worth of Moser rears and have had our customers have very few problems with them. There are more people on this forum with a Moser rear than any other brand. Bob
best price and service hands down! I love my 9 inch