General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

a/c trouble....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c trouble....

hey does anyone have a how to on a ac compressor install. old one is dead, got the new one now i have to install, its a 93 v6 3.4, any info would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can physically remove/replace yourself, but it's not the right way to do it. You need special equipment. 1st the old refrigerant gets pulled out. Then it's a good idea to flush the system cause old wore out compressors tend to release crap. Parts are replaced, then the system has a vacuum applied, then it's refilled.

Along with the compressor, the dryer and the orifice tube get replaced.

Call around, ask for recommendations, check your local BBB website. When I had the A/C done on an 89 Formula, I called around 1st. Quotes for the work varied from ~ $500 to ~ 1,200! That's with me providing the compressor I got at a good price through a hookup.

Went with the $500 shop cause they had a good rep. They did a good job and the A/C was still kicking cold *** (had them recycle my still full load of R12 when the work was done) when I spotted the car sitting on a Hyundai lot years after I got rid of it.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets say i was to do it myself...how would i go about doing that? any how to's? i got the compressor and apparently ill need the drier and the orifice tube...ill get those, then what?