Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

A little different exhaust set-up

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little different exhaust set-up

I know, Everyone is going to say," Why didnt you get long tubes," or "Thats a waste of money" but Keep in mind, I Never have to worry about SMOG or changing **** when its that time.

Well I have had the issue with the belief that I had Clogged cats and since I didnt make the cut for the GM cat recall, I wanted to change them out myself. I was going to have a local shop to do it but nobody did mandrel bending and if they did it was about $500-600. I figured for that price I might as well go with a complete System including Y-Pipe so I ordered my Random tech Y-Pipe and Cats. While I was waitin for my stuff I went ahead and gutted my stock cats, (It was annoying!) Best of all No more damn SES light!!!

All Stainless and mandrel bent. While I was ordering I went ahead and order a BMR tunnel Brace to stiffen the body some more. In total including shipping was arounf $710
$599 for RT system
$89 for Tunnel Brace

Install went smooth and am very happy!! The best thing of all That It comes with a Carb# card so it is 50 states legal Since it does not relocate the cats one inch. And Once I get Shorties Im pretty sure this system will flow just as good as Long-tubes.

Last edited by ConElite; 06-12-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

i like it, looks great!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks awesome but shorties or mids will never flow as good as longtubes... I'll keep your setup in mind though cause I don't want to deal with smog BS either for the sake of 20HP
Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Im pretty confident that these cats+Y-pipe+Shorties+ good Cat-back will flow near as much as LT's. No way a differance of 20whp. Maybe 5-10 over this.

Thanks though, I love how it looks!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yours looks sweet, only if you do h/c you are not going to get the most gains, you have a great setup for stock. It looks amazing dude I am sure it sounds awesome too. Like I said though when going to H/C you won't get the best gains, but if you go with a mild h/c it will be fine.

I love the look, man I can't wait to hear that bad mama jamma. Dude I am diggin the shiny.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

nice setup, your high as **** if you think any configuration of shorties and that catted y pipe is going to come close to the power of a quality set of longtubes.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Yours looks sweet, only if you do h/c you are not going to get the most gains, you have a great setup for stock. It looks amazing dude I am sure it sounds awesome too. Like I said though when going to H/C you won't get the best gains, but if you go with a mild h/c it will be fine.

I love the look, man I can't wait to hear that bad mama jamma. Dude I am diggin the shiny.
Yeah Thanks Adam. It sounds good. I like it, Its a lot deeper now. I have like a 1.5" PLate on the Borla so Ima remove that bad boy to see if it makes it a little louder. But Yeah I never really plan to do H/C on this car, At the very very most a baby cam and home Head port and call it a day.

Keep in mind this is a Canyon car not drag so I need a little back-pressure to help slow me down instead of relying only on the brakes. The torque curve is noticable at lower RPMs, Its nice.

Originally Posted by james562
nice setup, your high as **** if you think any configuration of shorties and that catted y pipe is going to come close to the power of a quality set of longtubes.
ha ha ha ha who knows, Until someone compares the two, we will never know how big of a difference it is. I really dont think its much more that 10-20HP with is a small loose when in the long run it saves you hours of work every 2 years.

Like I said, I mainly want a damn good flowing exhaust system that I know I wont have to worry one bit when it comes that time to go visit the sniffer and the Inspector.

Expensive, yes, but Going legal is expensive.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Then yes stick with that setup, it is going to work for what you want.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I like that you're sticking with a legal setup. That's hard to find around these parts.

Originally Posted by ConElite
ha ha ha ha who knows, Until someone compares the two, we will never know how big of a difference it is.
People have compared shorties vs. longtubes vs. mids... It's all over 'tech.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

nice setup, youre high as **** if you think any configuration of shorties and that catted y pipe is going to come close to the power of a quality set of longtubes.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does an item like this need a CARB EO #? Reason I ask is because I couldn't find any Random Technology products with a CARB EO # on CARB's website.

That would suck if you purchased a system like this that is still not smog legal.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Does an item like this need a CARB EO #? Reason I ask is because I couldn't find any Random Technology products with a CARB EO # on CARB's website.

That would suck if you purchased a system like this that is still not smog legal.
I have the card in my glove compartment. I'll post it tomorrow! I'm at Fridays getting wasted
Old 06-13-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought all non OEM catalytic converters were illegal in the state of California?

A catted y pipe off of a set of long tubes would have passed smog on the rollers. 90% of smog techs are lazy and dont do a complete thorough visual inspection.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought all non OEM catalytic converters were illegal in the state of California?

A catted y pipe off of a set of long tubes would have passed smog on the rollers. 90% of smog techs are lazy and dont do a complete thorough visual inspection.
This, as of January 1st 2009. Only stock cats and "california" replacement cats ($$$$$) are allowed. Just tell them you put it on before then? I don't see how they can find out.

Other than that I'm a big fan of it, this is what I would do if I didn't have LT's on my car already. Looks great, good price too.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
This, as of January 1st 2009. Only stock cats and "california" replacement cats ($$$$$) are allowed. Just tell them you put it on before then? I don't see how they can find out.

Other than that I'm a big fan of it, this is what I would do if I didn't have LT's on my car already. Looks great, good price too.
This is correct. Additionally, used cats are illegal now.

I know, how would they know, but it's geared towards the installers/shops than the DIYers.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ConElite
...who knows, Until someone compares the two, we will never know how big of a difference it is...
Been there done that dude. I had the same random tech stuff into a magnaflow catback with edelbrock shorties, (Which I still have a brand new set of if your interested). with my H/C I put 393/365 to the ground. Then I put on pacesetters and a 3 inch y pipe into the same magnaflow, with no other changes that made 425/391 on the same dyno (@ CMS). So I picked up 32/26rwhp/rwtq.

Currently running a dumped H pipe setup, no idea on gains/losses but it sounds the best!
Old 06-13-2009, 02:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Been there done that dude. I had the same random tech stuff into a magnaflow catback with edelbrock shorties, (Which I still have a brand new set of if your interested). with my H/C I put 393/365 to the ground. Then I put on pacesetters and a 3 inch y pipe into the same magnaflow, with no other changes that made 425/391 on the same dyno (@ CMS). So I picked up 32/26rwhp/rwtq.

Currently running a dumped H pipe setup, no idea on gains/losses but it sounds the best!
Ah Sounds good. Very good gain. IM mistaken then. But Yeah Ill post the Card the system came with. Random Tech Pays Major Taxes to the state of California in order to make their product Street legal. Although Most shops dont look at the cats, The good thing I never have to worry about it. Flash that card and no problem. You have no idea how many shops I went to asking to do my system, and Im positive any shop would do as good a job in 1 hour as a Major company like Random Tech did. My brother ran their Cats and Y-Pipe on his LT1 Z and worked great,

Thanks for the positive feed back guys. As I said, If I was drag racing the car, Long tubes is what I would of gotten but I need some back pressure to slow me down in the twisties, and this does just right for me.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

do you go to GMR?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Default i switched from mide tubes on lt1 went to longtubes sounds better but runs same times

Originally Posted by m6ttop
do you go to GMR?
i switched from mid tubes on my 94 lt1 went to longtubes sounds better but runs same times dont understand everyone says longtubes so good but didnt change my setup any?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

it all looks great... cept for that merge in the y-pipe...

it's never gonna be as good as LT's... but I understand your reasoning in going this route...

Quick Reply: A little different exhaust set-up