Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Good Rattlecan Clear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Good Rattlecan Clear?

Is there such a thing as a good rattle can clearcoat? I'm going to be lightly painting my side markers (not VHT) and am going to clearcoat it. I've been wondering though what is a good rattlecan clear that won't fade in a really short time? I live in a high-UV area so it needs to be very UV resistant...
Old 06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see if there is an autobody supply store near you. The one I use has primer and clear cans that have catalyst in them that mix in the can when you use it. Only thing is, it mixes with the whole can, so you'd have to use it all to get your money's worth unless you don't mind wasting a little because it is a catalyzed clear in a can, afterall.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

use duplicolor truck and suv clear lee
Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
but his firebird is a car. i dont think it will work since the duplicolor is only for truck/suv

jk
Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 PM

lmao good rattlecan clear
Old 06-12-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

Thread title = oxymoron
Old 06-13-2009, 02:22 AM
12 Second Club

the duplcolor clear is not that bad once it cures and u give it a good sand and buff.
i did my berger panel about a year and a half ago and it still looks perfect.
even my body shop guy who does show car said it looks as good as he could do(you can see it in my sig pic) only thing is i also did my grill the same way and the clear doesent get that hard so bugs will eat in to it easy.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:02 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah. I already know rattle can sucks. F-bodies and Mustangs also suck when you compare them to Ferraris. Eat a dick.

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
see if there is an autobody supply store near you. The one I use has primer and clear cans that have catalyst in them that mix in the can when you use it. Only thing is, it mixes with the whole can, so you'd have to use it all to get your money's worth unless you don't mind wasting a little because it is a catalyzed clear in a can, afterall.
Cool, I'll look for that.

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
Originally Posted by shaun
the duplcolor clear is not that bad once it cures and u give it a good sand and buff.
i did my berger panel about a year and a half ago and it still looks perfect.
even my body shop guy who does show car said it looks as good as he could do(you can see it in my sig pic) only thing is i also did my grill the same way and the clear doesent get that hard so bugs will eat in to it easy.
I'll look for that too.

Last edited by ZexGX; 06-13-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wish i knew you were looking for some, i would have given you the rest of my can
Old 06-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Don't u hate it when you get on here to ask for help and dum *** people get on here and trash talk, when all u asked is a simple question. Good luck on the clear, go to a sherwin williams they sell Auto paint and they can put any paint or clear in a rattle can.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Restricted User

Dupli-Color premium automotive acrylic enamel. I know Advance carries it. As far as rattle cans go, it's awesome stuff.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:11 AM
On The Tree

I don't think there is one out there that is any good. I'm only saying that because spray paint doesn't contain a catalyst. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong but spray paint in general fades fast and doesn't last. Unless you plan on tagging a building or bridge. I've used spray paint that has been mixed to color by the paint store and in six months sometimes sooner fades and looks horrible. A temp fix maybe. But as far as clear goes I've never really used spray paint clear. I only used it once and it was horrible it wasn't clear it was more transparent yellow than anything. I think for your best bet get the good stuff that comes out of a gun. The catalyst makes it more durable and it will last a whole lot longer. I've heard a lot about this Duplicolor but I don't like it. Its cheap and looks good at first but its not anything that lasts. I guess everyone has there opinion on this but to me its like they say you get what you pay for. If you know what you are doing then do it the right way if you don't and you really don't care how long it lasts then go with spray paint.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BradsLS1
But as far as clear goes I've never really used spray paint clear. I only used it once and it was horrible it wasn't clear it was more transparent yellow than anything
I don't think you're qualified to answer my question.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished painting my engine bay and underside of my hood with duplicolor rattle can paint and clear. Did not turn out to bad, used some rubbing compound 48 hours after I sprayed the clear and it smoothed out pretty nice. IMO it would seem the more rattle can clear you put on the better it will turn out. I only put 2 light coats and a medium coat, should have put at lease another medium coat on.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rattle can stuff actually doesnt look too bad if its left to cure completely, and then cut and buffed lightly. theres spots on my car a touched up on the rocker with srpay [aint and clear. it faded on me so i pulled out the 2000 grit and buffer, now i can see my reflection in it.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used a 97 cent rattle can of clear from walmartwhen i repainted my front filler panel. not the worst, not the greatest, but then on the otherhand i barly did any prep work or wetsand the clear coat
Old 06-14-2009, 06:48 PM

duplicolor is junk. if yur gonna go with rattle can clear, go to a local paint supplier and c if the have and dupont or r-m clear that are used by body shops on small repairs
Old 06-15-2009, 06:30 PM
Restricted User

Just thought i'd throw in that i'm still riding a mountain bike who's frame was painted with Dupli-Color base/clear in 2000...it's held up BETTER than the original paint that was on the frame, and despite sitting outside all summer for 8 years, hasn't faded in the slightest.

Trust me, if you must use a rattle can, you want Dupli-Color. Lots of guys in here want to tell you that anything that doesn't require an HVLP gun and compressor is junk, but they're full of ****. If you have something small that you don't want to waste $100 buying three different quarts of paint for, only to use 2oz out of each quart, pick up a (or two, or three) $5 can(s) of Dupli-Color and go to it. You won't be disappointed.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

i use duplicolor high temp ceramic clear, i like it a lot. you've seen all my stuff under the hood.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Launching!

I've had good and bad luck with the duplicolor paints. I've learned the more coats I put on and the more time I let it cure... the better it comes out. I did 6 coats on my tail panel, but only 4 on my air lid... I can tell a difference, but I am happy with both and only spending $25 on paint to do both was fine with me.

Quick Reply: Good Rattlecan Clear?