Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Who has an LT1 car with a 9-inch and WORKING 4-channel ABS ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who has an LT1 car with a 9-inch and WORKING 4-channel ABS ???

This is a partial continuation of this thread.

I'm struggling to figure out how to get 4-channel ABS to work on my LT1 car. The problem appears to be in the diameter (and to some extent, the depth) of the ABS exciter / reluctor gear. The LT1 exciter gears are bigger than the LS1 gears. Compare the following pics:

Now look at an LS1 exciter gear.

As you can see, it's way, WAY harder to get a wrench in there on an LT1 setup.

SOMEBODY must have figured out how to get this to work.

It sounds like at least one guy on LS1Tech had to resort to grinding and cutting his backing plates. But this solution seems unrealistically difficult.

Anybody have a solution to making ABS and TCS work? Has anyone tried swapping the EBCM from a 98+ LS1 car to get something that expects a lower exciter ring count?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done it a few times... call me at the shop during business hours and we'll discuss your options.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PROBLEM SOLVED

The Problem

If you have an LT1 car and you install 4-channel ABS, the ABS exciter rings will prevent you from getting a wrench to access the holes where the backing plate mounting bolts are located.

The $50 (and official, Moser-recommended) Solution

After hunting around forever, I spoke with Matt McCombs at Moser. He explained that on LT1 cars, you need to mill 3/8" deep slots into your brake backing plates. That's Moser's official recommendation.

Here's how you'll want to cut the plates. A machine shop charged me $50 for the pair, and had it done in about an hour.

The cuts are about 3/8" deep:

Oooh, look at all that room to get a wrench in there!

Hopefully this will save future 9-inch builders some frustration.