General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Really Confused? Intake Manifold filled with water

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Really Confused? Intake Manifold filled with water

I went to myrtle beach a few weeks ago and when i got back i went to move my car and it made some horrible grinding noise i stop trying to start it and pull out the plugs. to my surprise the number 5 cylinder is filled with water. I think its a head gasket so me and my buddy start taking the car apart and when i pull the intake manifold off it is full of water. It was rain water not coolant. Now i am really confused the car has been siting for a month and has not been driven thru a huge puddle, so im not to sure where all the damn water came from. I did recently put the fast (2 intake on my car im curious about if the intake wasnt tight enough together if that could have caused all this water. Any help would be appreciated
Old 06-13-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

anybody got any ideas
Old 06-13-2009, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Do you have a CAI installed?
Old 06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

no i dont
Old 06-13-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

how recently did you put the fast on? I'm gonna guess that the intake wasn't sealed to the heads and rain water got in there. Hopefully the internals are fine from the cranking w water in there.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Launching!

What is a fast?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see how rain water could get in there no matter how loose it was. You have a hood, right? And the tiny mist of any rain water splashing up while driving would get sucked right through the engine no porblem.

How much water was really in there/ YOu say "FULL". An intake could hold a couple gallons of water.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

lets say about a 2 liter bottle of water full
Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

we cleaned it all up put it back together and installed a catch can well now i have coolant inside my catch can
Old 06-13-2009, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like head gasket if its coolant, or you could have a crack or micro crack in your head
Old 06-14-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
I don't see how rain water could get in there no matter how loose it was. You have a hood, right? And the tiny mist of any rain water splashing up while driving would get sucked right through the engine no porblem.

How much water was really in there/ YOu say "FULL". An intake could hold a couple gallons of water.

He said his car wasnt running for a month. If it was sitting outside and constantly getting rained on, the rain could have gotten in through the intake if not sealed right. I m pretty sure that there are areas behind the hood that water can get right on top of the engine. When he tried to crank the motor water might have gone into the manifold along with any condensation that might have accumulated in there.

Edit: Didnt see the OPs last post. What I suggested could have explained the water if the #5 intake seal was bad/not sealed. Im not sure about the coolant though. Is your oil cloudy like it has coolant in it? Is the catch can filled with and oil/coolant mixture or just coolant? Im not sure how a catch can would be filled with just coolant if its attached to the crank case unless you have a HUGE head gasket leak/head crack.

Last edited by DropTopBird; 06-14-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

i drained all the oil out when i drained it, it had a coffe with cramer like look to it. I keep checking up on it and so far its all clear. After the first time i havent had any water in the catch can. and Just a fyi we did a compression test on all cylinders and the were all 210
Old 06-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
He said his car wasnt running for a month. If it was sitting outside and constantly getting rained on, the rain could have gotten in through the intake if not sealed right. I m pretty sure that there are areas behind the hood that water can get right on top of the engine. When he tried to crank the motor water might have gone into the manifold along with any condensation that might have accumulated in there.

Edit: Didnt see the OPs last post. What I suggested could have explained the water if the #5 intake seal was bad/not sealed. Im not sure about the coolant though. Is your oil cloudy like it has coolant in it? Is the catch can filled with and oil/coolant mixture or just coolant? Im not sure how a catch can would be filled with just coolant if its attached to the crank case unless you have a HUGE head gasket leak/head crack.
Thats why I asked about the rain. After it rains hard here for 3 hours my entire engine from intake down is 100% bone dry. There is no possible way rain water can ever touch my engine, especially the top of it.

This points to a cracked head. After the engine is shutdown, coolant system pressure rises for about 15-20 minutes....that must be pushing the coolant out of the crack into that runner, up into the intake.
OR...a blown head gasket that is doing the same thing. But if it were a head gasket and coolant was involved he would almost certainly be getting massive boiling over of the coolant while driving because that cylinder's piston would be cramming air into the coolant system every time it went upward.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

I have had a little bit of water on my engine after heavy rain. Its not much by any means, but it could build up after a month and could get in if something wasnt sealed. The only reason I think that was because he said it was straight water with no coolant. If the OP is going to be taking things apart, I would check the IM gaskets just for good measure.

For everything else though, coolant is definitely getting to the system somehow. Im thinking LS6427 is onto the right source with it.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

im really puzzled by the whole thing. now im just worried about the long term effects of the water sitting in my engine. like the toll that the water took on the bearings
Old 06-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01BlackCamaroSS
im really puzzled by the whole thing. now im just worried about the long term effects of the water sitting in my engine. like the toll that the water took on the bearings
Did you have alot of water mixed with the oil?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

ya the oil had a light brown milky color to it

Quick Reply: Really Confused? Intake Manifold filled with water