General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

2001 TA M6 no crank, no start, cd player installed, help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 TA M6 no crank, no start, cd player installed, help!

2001 Transam M6

Hello, I just joined and wrote down some things wrong with my gf's car. Please help if you can. I'm sorry if this is a new person question but I searched a bit and so far it seems some people can actually get their car to crank while this does not. I appreciate any and all help on this matter and will continue to look later this evening.

The security light would come on and then go off. It could happen while driving on for a few minutes, basically it was sporadic. All the dash lights came on and the security light flashed on and off. No ignition wouldn’t turn over didn’t even click. When the key would be taken out the gauges maxed out and then came back down to 0 (mph, tach, fuel, etc). We just had a stereo/cd player installed at Best Buy but the security light came on prior to the install. But the car always started before then too. I'm stumped. I even disconnected the battery for over a day and that did nothing. Thank you ls1tech!

-Troy
Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a guess but maybe the resistor is going bad in the key. See if another key makes any difference.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks SOM there are so many possibilities right now. I will check the key. After reading I saw that puting a resistor in the steering column wiring might solve this scenario. Best Buy is no help either. It was for my girlfriend's birthday and we are going to mod it together and whatnot. It's been dead (not starting) for a week and a half now. Disconnecting the battery has not done the trick and neither has the key on position for 10 minute fix I also read about. I will keep looking and try that key fix. Thanks.