Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

won't shift after 5k

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default won't shift after 5k

Here's the situation- Just bought a 98 Z28 6spd car. It has a built motor (450hp), level 4 rebuilt trans, and stage 3 clutch. The car shifts fine up to 5k rpms. After that I could granny shift and it wouldn't go in. I'm used to powershifting so this is all new to me. I tried powershifting last night 4 different times around 6200rpms and it was just like I hit a wall everytime. No grinding but it wouldn't go in gear. Well I proceded to call it a night and go home..drove fine. Got up this morning, cranked it and now its having trouble going in any gears. I don't know if it has the drill mod but I'd suspect not..What do you guys think is the problem?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

update...went out again to see if I could free the gears up (its like the clutch pedal was stuck to the floor), and I went thru the gears before cranking it and smacked the clutch pedal a few times and now it seems fine atleast at low rpm shifts..any ideas?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:53 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tommy, I told you what was causing this before you ever left with the car.

S p e c = your problem

Put an LS6 clutch in it, and shift away @ 6500+.

Or before you do that, you could try throwing a newer 01-02 master in there. The master cyl in there is the original, but I rebuilt it a while back. I don't think this will fix the problem, but it's possible and cheaper/easier than a clutch swap. It's probably time for it anyway. That master has 11 years and who knows how many shifts on it.

Last edited by Damian; 06-15-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was afraid you would say that. I'll just shift @ 5 in 1st and 2nd and run it out in 3rd in the 1/8th and see what I come up with. I'm not too worried about it. If it happens again, I'll take it to Tick for one of their masters. I'm not changing the clutch till I wear that one out...just how I am
Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Tommy, as much as I can appreciate Damian's perspective...your second post evidences an issue with the hydraulics, not the clutch. Be cause the pedal is sticking to the floor it is much more likely that you are seeing an issue of fluid transfer which is impacting the hydraulic fluids return to the master. The first thing I suggest is performing the drill-mod. This may very well solve your problem. Of course it is also possible that you have air in the system, so bleeding the hydraulics is the next step. Let me know what results you see after trying this and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring it by the shop buddy - we'll get that thing shifting like a raped ape as high in the RPM range as you want it to.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:33 AM
12 Second Club

I am having same problem. Will not shift at high rpms.(have to wait til rpms fall off before it goes into gear)but shifts fine all day long with normal acceleration. I can tell you my problem was not transmission. because i had built with new(better hardware)1-2 3-4 keys,blocking set, carbon steel sync and viper fork.mine is @ shop now getting new adjustable master and slave.probly your prob too.check clutch and hydr first.