Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stereo volume jumping up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 12:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo volume jumping up?

Hi, I have a recently purchased 2000 Trans Am w/ about 27k on the clock. Just in the past two days the Monsoon system has been doing weird things. The volume will be at a low listening level, then suddenly jump up to a high listening level, or today it was at a rather high listenening level and it jumped to pretty darn loud. It has only happened twice and I have owned the car for just a few weeks now, but it happened twice in two days.
Anyone offer up any help on what is going on?
I did a search, but I have no idea what really to search for and it lead to nothing.

Thanks,
Douglas
Old 11-10-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

My '01 SS does the same thing. Don't worry, it is a factory option. It's called 'speed sensitive volume control." Depending on how hard you are driving, the stereo adjusts volume automatically to compensate for the engine noise. It's completely NORMAL. In fact, I love it! I don't have to worry about turning it up everytime I hit the freeway or highway.
Also, it automatically lowers the volume when you brake. Pretty neat, don't you think?
Old 11-10-2003, 09:52 PM
wrencher

You can also turn it off,it's the **** behind the volume control.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the speed sensitive volume control is not an option on the TA. there is no dial behind the volume ***. my radio spikes the volume when i try to turn it up or down but not on its own. I'm kinda surprised that a Camaro had an option that a TA didn't, no offense to sister f-body owners.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, it is not the AVLS kicking in. I have had stereos with it before, and this is deffinately not that. If it keeps doing it I'll just look for anything that seems to happen right before the stereo volume jumps.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem in my 96 monte carlo (same exact steering wheel controls). Unfortunately it means the switch is failing. Eventually mine did it more and more often and finally stopped working altogether. The switches themselves will probably need to be replaced. If you only have 27k on the car it might still be under warranty. You need to find out when the original owner took delivery. If it was less than three years ago, you can get the switches replaces on GM's dime before the warranty runs out. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Default Volume control messed up

After the burnt out display problem, this is the most common problem on the Pontiac radios that were in the TA and other Pontiacs from 1994-2003. The volume control module is going bad. It will get progressively worse. You will start noticing that you do not have complete control over the volume. It won't respond well or it will do the opposite (go up when you're turning it down). I have performed MANY repairs for this very issue.

It has absolutely nothing to do with SCV (Speed Control Volume) as this was not an option on the Pontiac vehicles from the era of this radio. SCV was a feature on all the Chevy/GMC radios from 1995-2002 that also had the Auto-Tone feature and the large square display in the top right corner. (I won't bore you with the official GM radio option designations.)

It most likely has nothing to do with the Steering Wheel Control (SWC, as I call it) option. In fact, if you have SWC, you will probably find that you can control the volume just fine from those switches. It is only when you try to control the volume at the radio that you will normally experience the problem.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ReplacementRadios
After the burnt out display problem, this is the most common problem on the Pontiac radios that were in the TA and other Pontiacs from 1994-2003. The volume control module is going bad. It will get progressively worse. You will start noticing that you do not have complete control over the volume. It won't respond well or it will do the opposite (go up when you're turning it down). I have performed MANY repairs for this very issue.

It has absolutely nothing to do with SCV (Speed Control Volume) as this was not an option on the Pontiac vehicles from the era of this radio. SCV was a feature on all the Chevy/GMC radios from 1995-2002 that also had the Auto-Tone feature and the large square display in the top right corner. (I won't bore you with the official GM radio option designations.)

It most likely has nothing to do with the Steering Wheel Control (SWC, as I call it) option. In fact, if you have SWC, you will probably find that you can control the volume just fine from those switches. It is only when you try to control the volume at the radio that you will normally experience the problem.

Hope that helps.
Yeah, mine does that...and no I dont have SWC. How expensive of a fix is this? Can I do it myself? Also, one of my EQ pots is gone...can I fix it as well? BTW, I dont want to spend much on this...just if I can easily do it myself. Otherwise, I would just buy a new stereo.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ChiefBrody
no offense to sister f-body owners.
Dem's either fightin' werds, or you're looking for a hot woman in a hotter car