Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ls7/ ls2 or alum flywheel?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls7/ ls2 or alum flywheel?

Been planning on changing my clutch from my stock one. Noticed a few vendors offer the LS7 clutch with an optional alum. flywheel. Was wondering if it was really necessary for me to go with the lighter wheel, or go with the ls2.

Its a street car, but see's its fair share of drag racing. I can easily adjust to a different clutch feel on the street. Been trying to find a comfortable norm for where I launch it, either from slipping the clutch out of the hole in the 2200-3200 range which sometimes bogs if I slip to quickly, or launch from the 3500-4000 not bogging but scaring my 10 bolt. I believe the heavier flywheel should help me not bog compared to the light one leaving from the lower rpms. Still not sure which to go with.

Car is mostly stock, with headers, exhaust, intake, and M/T's. Thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump... anybody?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was about to ask the same question. I have to replace my pressure plate on the LS7 clutch and was wondering if I can replace with a aluminum FW.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like everybody has a different opinion on this issue - here in house, we're a bunch of drag racing nuts - therefore we like all the rotating mass that the heavy flywheels provide. They reduce bog and as a result, reduce 60' times. They aren't the quickest revving setups in the world, but they drive nice on the street.

A lightweight flywheel is going to allow the engine to rev quicker, but it's also going to allow the RPMs to drop quicker, as well. On the street, this means that you're going to need to use more gas pedal when trying to accelerate from a stoplight, etc, especially on an incline. At the autocross, quick revving is far more important than inertia - at the dragstrip, 60' times will suffer in heavy cars like our beloved f-bodies.

The choice is yours - in these 3500+LB behemoths, I only suggest a lightweight flywheel for cars that are going to be mainly used for autocross/road racing. For anything with a substantial amount of street or dragstrip time - I suggest a stock weight flywheel all day long.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls7/ ls2 or alum flywheel?