Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Which Clutch to Go With

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which Clutch to Go With

Ok... so here's the situation. I currently have a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch in my SS but after 2 years and 35k miles it's slipping like mad. SO... in the market for a new clutch... I've been looking into the Tex OZ700 X-Grip, Tick Adjustable Master, and Tick Remote Bleeder (to get rid of the sticky clutch and hard engagements).

Currently I only have LT's with an ORY untuned, but am planning to add Heads, Cam, Injectors, Bottle, and 4.11's shortly after... if I can find a good priced LS6 or FAST intake and TB setup that will go in too... I'm looking for a clutch that will hold and I won't have to replace often. I'm not too worried about a stock pedal feel as the centerforce is firmer and I actually prefer it over the stock pedal. I just don't want anything that'll make my left leg bigger than the right... BUT ANYWAYS... I've been reading the boards and saw good things and bad about the Tex Clutches... and I've started to see more Monster setups but I'm a bit skeptical as I have not seen many of them... Any input is appreciated... Tex, Monster, Other???
Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

tex has been getting a bad rap lately; seems like a lot of ppl have posted negative review about there clutches lately.

it looks like monster is becoming the #1 pick for most clutches. with the power you plan on making, i would go with monster or a spec
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monster clutches, we have a sale going on right now until the end of July. Hard to say what your car will make on teh bottle, but I would say our Level III would be in your area. If you want you can PM me (or of course post them right here)more details like what heads, cam, etc.... you are planning as well as what size shot you plan on using, as well as your intended use of the car. Check out my link below for Monster prices.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Been seeing a lot of monster around lately, especially with all the sales. Just haven't heard enough about them from people on here.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueMagicSS
Ok... so here's the situation. I currently have a Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch in my SS but after 2 years and 35k miles it's slipping like mad. SO... in the market for a new clutch... I've been looking into the Tex OZ700 X-Grip, Tick Adjustable Master, and Tick Remote Bleeder (to get rid of the sticky clutch and hard engagements).

Currently I only have LT's with an ORY untuned, but am planning to add Heads, Cam, Injectors, Bottle, and 4.11's shortly after... if I can find a good priced LS6 or FAST intake and TB setup that will go in too... I'm looking for a clutch that will hold and I won't have to replace often. I'm not too worried about a stock pedal feel as the centerforce is firmer and I actually prefer it over the stock pedal. I just don't want anything that'll make my left leg bigger than the right... BUT ANYWAYS... I've been reading the boards and saw good things and bad about the Tex Clutches... and I've started to see more Monster setups but I'm a bit skeptical as I have not seen many of them... Any input is appreciated... Tex, Monster, Other???
Give us a call at the shop and we'll go over all the options, etc. We've got a sale going on right now so it'll make it hard to pass up!

Originally Posted by KW4life06
Been seeing a lot of monster around lately, especially with all the sales. Just haven't heard enough about them from people on here.
We're getting more and more feedback on this forum, there is a ton over on ls1gto.com where we started our testing.

Steve A.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 436 Likes on 349 Posts

I've got about 1000 miles on my Level 3 and it's amazing. Near stock pedal feel, no chatter, and holds like you wouldn't believe. I'm only putting about 420 RWHP down, however. I just wanted to make sure my clutch could handle it once I spray my next engine. I'm VERY impressed with this clutch.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been looking at the sales... and haven't heard anything negative... only positive... about the clutch... I was looking at a stage 4 (since it's the same price as the stage 3) which flywheel though...?? I mostly drive on the street but with the new cam and bottle hopefully going in at the same time if not right after.... who could resist the track runs??
Old 06-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Staging Lane

i went to my local diesel clutch builder and asked him to build me a clutch half copper half kevlar it was little ruff right after break in but after about 800 miles it was nice and there usually good up to about 550 to 600 for a good while
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I've got about 1000 miles on my Level 3 and it's amazing. Near stock pedal feel, no chatter, and holds like you wouldn't believe. I'm only putting about 420 RWHP down, however. I just wanted to make sure my clutch could handle it once I spray my next engine. I'm VERY impressed with this clutch.

Glad you like, and thanks for the feedback! Trust us guys, more and more Monsters are getting out there by the day, and we are getting a boat load of positive feedback!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

I've been looking at the sales... and haven't heard anything negative... only positive... about the clutch... I was looking at a stage 4 (since it's the same price as the stage 3) which flywheel though...?? I mostly drive on the street but with the new cam and bottle hopefully going in at the same time if not right after.... who could resist the track runs??

I personally like the Chromoly, and there ARE arguments for BOTH. Some say heavy car, street car, go with Billet Steel. I like teh quicker revs personally of teh Chromoly setup for teh street. Will it take some getting used to over a stock setup? Sure. Will it be some HUGE difference? No. But you will notice it. Hopefully some more will chime in. I just sold a guy (member here) a Level III Monster with the Chromoly setup, and he has @ 100 miles on it now, and he LOVES the Chromoly Flywheel. I will send him a PM, and see if he can post in this thread with his feedback for you. Any questions, just give me a call or a PM or email Bluemagic!
Old 06-16-2009, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently purchased and installed my Monster Stage 3 with the chromoly flywheel that i got from Gen414 (Great business man, highly recommended). Like he said i've got roughly 100 miles on it and I LOVE the clutch so far! I've got the slightest bit of chatter taking off in 1st gear but that's it, and it's still only at 100 miles and it seems to be getting better and better.
As for the chromoly flywheel, i love that as well haha. I agree with Gen414 that the quicker/faster rev's are very nice. I haven't noticed much difference in take off with it compared to the stock flywheel, i'm talking things like you have to rev the car more to get it to move because the flywheel is lighter blah blah, that sort of thing. But one thing to keep in mind is that I've got a 5.3l, ls1 intake, 33# injectors, cold air intake in bumper, LT's, high flow cats, 3" exhaust, 99 T56 w/ stock gearing, and all this in a 1991 Nissan 240sx w/ 4.08 rear gear ratio and it weighs roughly 2800lbs give or take.
Being that you've got a slightly heavier car you might, like others have said, need to rev it a little higher on take off, but if you don't mind getting used (if it even turns out that you need to) to that then I STRONGLY recommend you get the chromoly flywheel.
I got the premium package with the new slave, that combined with my Wilwood 7/8's master cylinder gave me a slightly firmer pedal than my prior LS6 clutch. But it is in no way "too firm" or going to give me a larger left leg. Like others have said, I actually prefer the slightly firmer pedal.
If I were you I wouldn't hesitate about a Monster clutch, now stage 3 or stage 4, I'm not sure, but that's where the great customer service Monster and all their excellent dealers come into play.
I hope my info. helps you out.
-Tanner
Old 06-16-2009, 12:13 PM
FormerVendor

Lightweight setup for what you do is what I'd recommend, you won't be sorry!

Thanks to all that posted up positive!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot to add that I spray a 100shot on my setup as well as the other mods...I haven't sprayed it with the new clutch yet due to only having 130 miles (as of now, just got back from another small drive and this thing is awesome!). The little bit of chatter i had on take off is almost completely gone now or so it seems. I'm still amazed at how smooth the engagement of this thing is, Monster has a great product hands down.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MunsonAuto
I forgot to add that I spray a 100shot on my setup as well as the other mods...I haven't sprayed it with the new clutch yet due to only having 130 miles (as of now, just got back from another small drive and this thing is awesome!). The little bit of chatter i had on take off is almost completely gone now or so it seems. I'm still amazed at how smooth the engagement of this thing is, Monster has a great product hands down.
Thanks man!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:14 PM
FormerVendor

I recently purchased and installed my Monster Stage 3 with the chromoly flywheel that i got from Gen414 (Great business man, highly recommended). Like he said i've got roughly 100 miles on it and I LOVE the clutch so far! I've got the slightest bit of chatter taking off in 1st gear but that's it, and it's still only at 100 miles and it seems to be getting better and better.
As for the chromoly flywheel, i love that as well haha. I agree with Gen414 that the quicker/faster rev's are very nice. I haven't noticed much difference in take off with it compared to the stock flywheel, i'm talking things like you have to rev the car more to get it to move because the flywheel is lighter blah blah, that sort of thing. But one thing to keep in mind is that I've got a 5.3l, ls1 intake, 33# injectors, cold air intake in bumper, LT's, high flow cats, 3" exhaust, 99 T56 w/ stock gearing, and all this in a 1991 Nissan 240sx w/ 4.08 rear gear ratio and it weighs roughly 2800lbs give or take.
Being that you've got a slightly heavier car you might, like others have said, need to rev it a little higher on take off, but if you don't mind getting used (if it even turns out that you need to) to that then I STRONGLY recommend you get the chromoly flywheel.
I got the premium package with the new slave, that combined with my Wilwood 7/8's master cylinder gave me a slightly firmer pedal than my prior LS6 clutch. But it is in no way "too firm" or going to give me a larger left leg. Like others have said, I actually prefer the slightly firmer pedal.
If I were you I wouldn't hesitate about a Monster clutch, now stage 3 or stage 4, I'm not sure, but that's where the great customer service Monster and all their excellent dealers come into play.
I hope my info. helps you out.
-Tanner
Glad you are liking it so far and it will only get better! That car has to scoot! And once you get that clutch broke in, and spray it...haha!! Gonna be FUN!

Again, thanks! Like I was telling you..stickers got made up in teh wrong color, but soon as they get that corrected, will get some out to ya! Shoot me some pics of that '51 Ford you and your Dad got going on when you get a chance!
Old 06-16-2009, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gen414
Again, thanks! Like I was telling you..stickers got made up in teh wrong color, but soon as they get that corrected, will get some out to ya!
I want some stickers... lol...

I love my Monster Level III billet flywheel setup. Got 250 miles on the break-in so far. Gearing up for some track days as soon as it's fully broken-in.

Mike
Old 06-16-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like Monster is the best clutch to go with... I don't think I'll be disappointed at all.... Can't wait until I can put the cam and bottle in the car too... (Might just go in at the same time...)
Old 06-16-2009, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 436 Likes on 349 Posts

Let me say, I got the chromoly flywheel and I am completely happy with it - I didn't see ANY drivability difference. Nor did I see ANY difference at the dragstrip. To those who say the lighter flywheel sucks for drag racing, you haven't tested them back to back. I added an S60 and a chromoly DS when I did my Level 3 and the difference is almost negligable. Best previous was 12.28@118.70 and my best with the new parts (before my engine blew, only got 7 passes in) was 12.38@116.74, both with identical 1.96 60' times. That could have just been the weather. You're going to LOVE this clutch.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6

I love my Monster Level III billet flywheel setup. Got 250 miles on the break-in so far. Gearing up for some track days as soon as it's fully broken-in.

Mike

Glad you like it! You like stickers to huh? Yeah, me too! I don't have any Monster Clutch stickers, but I will have some for my Company here soon (that is if they print them in teh right color this time ) You wanting some from my Company?

Seems like Monster is the best clutch to go with... I don't think I'll be disappointed at all.... Can't wait until I can put the cam and bottle in the car too... (Might just go in at the same time...)

I KNOW you will be happy if you go that route. If there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate. And that goes for any of you guys that have any questions regarding clutches, let me know, I will do everything I can to help.

Let me say, I got the chromoly flywheel and I am completely happy with it - I didn't see ANY drivability difference. Nor did I see ANY difference at the dragstrip. To those who say the lighter flywheel sucks for drag racing, you haven't tested them back to back. I added an S60 and a chromoly DS when I did my Level 3 and the difference is almost negligable. Best previous was 12.28@118.70 and my best with the new parts (before my engine blew, only got 7 passes in) was 12.38@116.74, both with identical 1.96 60' times. That could have just been the weather. You're going to LOVE this clutch.

Thanks for your input. Good to hear from customers that are using it, and giving everyone results. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6

Mike
Thanks for the positive feedback! We're getting stickers made as we speak!

I don't think you'll be disappointed either!

Thanks for the feedback man, get that motor back together!

Quick Reply: Which Clutch to Go With