Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine has been using a bit of oil, check out these weird oil leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine has been using a bit of oil, check out these weird oil leaks!

I have a 382 LS6 in my car. I recently swapped from an LS6 intake to a TPIS 90MM intake, and was shocked to see how much oil was in the intake ports of the heads, and the intake manifold itself. I did have a Rev Xtreme catch can on there, and it was plumbed correctly. I also have a large breather on each valve cover. While I have been tracking down these "Electrical gremlins" I discovered oil in some strange places. Check this out:

Cylinders 1, 2, and 4 have oil coming down from each exhaust primary.

Cylinders 3 and 7 have oil coming down from the spark plug holes, and yes the plugs are screwed in all the way.

I know this has something to do with my oil consumption. The amount of oil being used makes me think its coming in places other than through the PCV. First off, the catch can doesn't catch anything. I swapped from the Rev Xtreme can to a CCA can, and its not really catching anything either. It could be the valve stem seals or the valve guides, or even the rocker bolt holes that are ported in to, but the engine doesn't smoke.

What do you guys think?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Not really that weird. You have some leaky gaskets and probably bad valve seals.
Do you leave a smoke trail when stomping the pedal from a steady roll like 50mph..or when you let off the pedal after a hard run?

Pull some plugs and see if they are wet with raw oil.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Resident

Im not to sure about why youre bleeding oil out of the cylinders, but I think I can shed some light on your catch can issue. Theres no oil in the catch can because all of the pressure is being relieved through the breathers. The air is going to take the path of least resistance, so flowing through the breathers is a lot easier than being compressed through the pcv system. If youre getting an oily film on the inside of youre hood, thats prob where its coming from too. Good luck with the rest of the issues. Its definitely an interesting problem.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Not really that weird. You have some leaky gaskets and probably bad valve seals.
Do you leave a smoke trail when stomping the pedal from a steady roll like 50mph..or when you let off the pedal after a hard run?

Pull some plugs and see if they are wet with raw oil.

The thing is, the engine has about 10K miles on it and I bought the heads assembled from TSP! I highly doubt the seals are bad. I think I am going to pull it apart tomorrow anyways and see what I can find.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:02 AM
Teching In

i don't believe thats coming from your cylinders, you can see oil residue up above the flanges as well. well, you can see where it WAS. the heat has cooked it and removed it, however you definitely can still see the discoloration. i'd start with something as simple as valvecover gasket and the proper tq. procedure/spec
Old 06-15-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stewart Leask
i don't believe thats coming from your cylinders, you can see oil residue up above the flanges as well. well, you can see where it WAS. the heat has cooked it and removed it, however you definitely can still see the discoloration. i'd start with something as simple as valvecover gasket and the proper tq. procedure/spec
While I agree 100% that the drivers side cover leaks a little, that would still not make oil appear on the spark plug threads. If the oil was cooking off the side of the head above the header flange it would certainly cook off the header itself and below it as well.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
Im not to sure about why youre bleeding oil out of the cylinders, but I think I can shed some light on your catch can issue. Theres no oil in the catch can because all of the pressure is being relieved through the breathers. The air is going to take the path of least resistance, so flowing through the breathers is a lot easier than being compressed through the pcv system. If youre getting an oily film on the inside of youre hood, thats prob where its coming from too. Good luck with the rest of the issues. Its definitely an interesting problem.
If that were true, then how is all the oil getting into my intake?
Old 06-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Teching In

i think its safe to rule out the intake as a seperate issue. i have no oil in my cylinders but all around my cathedral ports is the exact same oil you're describing. all over your valley cover as well? (this is with ls2 valley cover with air/oil seperator)
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stewart Leask
i think its safe to rule out the intake as a seperate issue. i have no oil in my cylinders but all around my cathedral ports is the exact same oil you're describing. all over your valley cover as well? (this is with ls2 valley cover with air/oil seperator)
No, I have an LS6 block, and an LS6 valley cover. The oil is/was all contained on the intake ports.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
If that were true, then how is all the oil getting into my intake?
Where was the oil in your intake? Is it just in the ports, or is it coating the entire inside of the intake starting at the PCV attachment?
Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Mike !! This sounds like last year when we were supposed to meet up your car went down. Then when you wanted to meet up my car went down. Lets hope we can meet up this summer some time.

I will be out of town starting next Sunday, and when I come back you better be ready for a bad MF'ing FRC

Hope to see you soon, and good luck with the car, it must be frustrating. You have no idea what I've been through $$$ wise.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have the same issue. if you pull the plugs where the oil is im sure you will find that the treds are coated and the plug is dry. i couldnt figure it out my self. i also had my headers off and found no oil in the exhaust.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Omec
i have the same issue. if you pull the plugs where the oil is im sure you will find that the treds are coated and the plug is dry. i couldnt figure it out my self. i also had my headers off and found no oil in the exhaust.
2 of my plugs have oil on the threads, the rest are fine. I have 8 of my valve seals done, the new seals sure do go on a lot easier than the old ones come off! I'm using a 12mm socket and pushing them down good to make sure they seat, but wow what a difference. I sure hope this was my problem, these things are a major pain!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
2 of my plugs have oil on the threads, the rest are fine. I have 8 of my valve seals done, the new seals sure do go on a lot easier than the old ones come off! I'm using a 12mm socket and pushing them down good to make sure they seat, but wow what a difference. I sure hope this was my problem, these things are a major pain!

eek, good luck man. hope it cures it.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

updates?