Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

ceramic wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ceramic wheel bearings

has anyone here upgraded to ceramic wheel bearings?

makes sense to me much less fiction means I get to go faster and be more effisheiant.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a discussion about this several months ago. I think the main problem is that the front bearings in the 4th gen F-bods, for example, are sealed units. So, unless one of the suppliers offers to supply the bearing hub as an assembled unit with the ceramic bearings, there isn't much chance of anyone using them. Maybe in the "older" cars, where the hubs and bearings weren't the sealed unit deal......
Old 06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default link of previous thread

I will contact the manufactor about the sealed unit he seams like a real slick Dude claims that cars that usalley made 250 on a tank of fuel made 300 w/ the ceramic wheel bearings

(my car gets 350 on expressway cruising a 16.5 gallon tank)
also increased 1/4 mile time by 1/2 a second.

do you have the link of previous thread?

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-15-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-bearings.html
Old 06-15-2009, 11:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though lowering frictional losses may be seen based on their claims, ...For the typical oem hub automotive configuration, frictional losses I'd imagine are more substantial regarding typical OEM brake/caliper/pad design, not the bearings within the hubs. Frictional differences can be based to tire selection if you wanted to get critical.

You could change to a lighter wheel combination like our Bogart road race wheels which relates to better transfer of energy, more reactive handling, shorter braking distances, quicker response regarding suspension and better gas mileage. ...and it looks better than OEM too https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...heel-sale.html.

Last edited by SJM Manufacturing Inc; 06-15-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default rims

PHP Code:
[IMG]http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2741/1141/6850570056_large.jpg[/IMG] 
Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Though lowering frictional losses may be seen based on their claims, ...For the typical oem hub automotive configuration, frictional losses I'd imagine are more substantial regarding typical OEM brake/caliper/pad design, not the bearings within the hubs. Frictional differences can be based to tire selection if you wanted to get critical.

You could change to a lighter wheel combination like our Bogart road race wheels which relates to better transfer of energy, more reactive handling, shorter braking distances, quicker response regarding suspension and better gas mileage. ...and it looks better than OEM too https://ls1tech.com/forums/wheels-ti...heel-sale.html.
I have SSR gt-1 rims the weight is 17LBs compared to the OEM ws6 wheels at 25LBs, w/ powerstop rotors & pads.
was curious about the bearing claims.

Thanks

Last edited by badmfkr; 06-16-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SJM Manufacturing Inc
Though lowering frictional losses may be seen based on their claims, ...For the typical oem hub automotive configuration, frictional losses I'd imagine are more substantial regarding typical OEM brake/caliper/pad design, not the bearings within the hubs.
Good point. Over the years, I've worked on a few cars where the road salt (here in the north east) has pretty well jammed up the pads within the calipers. I'm sure that the friction between the pad and rotor was pretty significant on those cars....
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know i am bring back an old thread, but i am trying to figure what to do with my car. my front wheels do not spin freely. i have already rebuilt the calipers, so i am wounding if the hub bearing had something to do with it. If there is a hub bearing out there that will cause less resistance i would like to give it a try.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
TECH Addict

through all of the road racing forums ive read, none of them have ever mentioned a ceramic hub. some of these people professionally race f-bodies, and road racing is WAY harder on hubs then any street or stab & steer racing. as it turns out, the best hubs to get are original, OEM GM hubs. none of the aftermarket ones are as good as GM. there is a person who made rebuildable hubs, but he wants $500 EACH HUB......$1000 for 2 hubs is just ridiculous.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
through all of the road racing forums ive read, none of them have ever mentioned a ceramic hub. some of these people professionally race f-bodies, and road racing is WAY harder on hubs then any street or stab & steer racing. as it turns out, the best hubs to get are original, OEM GM hubs. none of the aftermarket ones are as good as GM. there is a person who made rebuildable hubs, but he wants $500 EACH HUB......$1000 for 2 hubs is just ridiculous.
It is $750 each now.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

great, even better. nice to see he's taking in consideration the state of the economy........
Old 02-28-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
great, even better. nice to see he's taking in consideration the state of the economy........
True, but he's probably getting beat up by his suppliers' increased pricing....due to the state of the economy!

Quick Reply: ceramic wheel bearings