Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Dirty clutch fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Dirty clutch fluid

Im still getting it, i recently did headers, and its been happening since then.
after that i did the drill mod, my fluid was getting dirty, so i wrapped the stainless line with heat reflective tape (1500 degrees) and zip tied the line away from the headers. im also using DOT 4 High temp fluid. checked it yesterday and it was dirty, what else can i do?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume you read this from the sticky above about flushing the master frequently:
http://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

Do you have a lot of miles on your clutch? When my original clutch was beat and starting to slip it would make the fluid dark pretty fast.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea, I read it. But I shouldn't be changing it everyday. How many miles are a lot on a clutch?
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firechicken76
Yea, I read it. But I shouldn't be changing it everyday. How many miles are a lot on a clutch?

Well, is is dirty, or is it DIRTY. How many miles are alot on a clutch? Wow, you are gonna get about a 1000 different opinions on that. My Cummins 1 ton 6 speed, modded, makes 400+HP/900+TQ, clutch has @ 120K miles on it, and it has hauled cars cross country grossing 25-30K LBS.
Uncle has a little Mini Toyota truck, has 350K miles on it, stock clutch.

Neighbor's Camaro, got 70K out of his. Stock car.
It ALL (aside from a few variables)depends on the driver on how long ANY clutch will last. A professional truck driver (like my Uncle) who knows what he is doing, can get more out of a clutch than say someone who doesn't.
I know I am not really answering your "how many miles" question, but, like I said, there are so many variables...oil leaks? Modded car? track? driver? Stop and go driving? Highway miles? Hill country? Flat country? See where I am going with that?
That being said, most "stock" type clutches, SHOULD last 75K miles and more. But, again, there are so many variables with the driver, that it is really impossible to give a concrete answer on that. Did I confues you even more
Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have around 40k on it, and the clutch fluid is DIRTY. but it doesnt seem to affect shifting. my car is full bolt ons with a 9"

Originally Posted by Gen414
Well, is is dirty, or is it DIRTY. How many miles are alot on a clutch? Wow, you are gonna get about a 1000 different opinions on that. My Cummins 1 ton 6 speed, modded, makes 400+HP/900+TQ, clutch has @ 120K miles on it, and it has hauled cars cross country grossing 25-30K LBS.
Uncle has a little Mini Toyota truck, has 350K miles on it, stock clutch.

Neighbor's Camaro, got 70K out of his. Stock car.
It ALL (aside from a few variables)depends on the driver on how long ANY clutch will last. A professional truck driver (like my Uncle) who knows what he is doing, can get more out of a clutch than say someone who doesn't.
I know I am not really answering your "how many miles" question, but, like I said, there are so many variables...oil leaks? Modded car? track? driver? Stop and go driving? Highway miles? Hill country? Flat country? See where I am going with that?
That being said, most "stock" type clutches, SHOULD last 75K miles and more. But, again, there are so many variables with the driver, that it is really impossible to give a concrete answer on that. Did I confues you even more

Quick Reply: Dirty clutch fluid